• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Could I be addicted to a drug that's considered to have no recreational value?

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
I'm prescribed Chrlorpromazine (Thorazine, Largactil) 100mg, three times a day (along with other meds) for Borderline Personality Disorder with Psychotic Depression.

I have a habit of ignoring the "prescribed dose" on my meds and just take what I feel I need/want.

I often take up to 1200mg of Chlorpromazine in one go when I'm feeling bad. I do this several times a week, the reason being the super-zombifying effect means that I don't have to THINK or FEEL like AT ALL. Even on days I don't do this I can take in excess of 800mg/day.

Am I addicted to it? And why can't I find a record of anyone else abusing it? The closest thing I can find is prisoners abusing Seroquel (which I also take).

Everybody will probably have a different answer but antipsychotics are not addictive or drugs of abuse as far as im concerned and im not the only one who thinks this. Its fine to take more of it as its practically impossible to overdose on these psych meds u could take 5000mg and wake up in hospital days later. Im not a expert so dont take what i say as fact but i reckon ur fine mate. And you probably cant find record of abuse because they cant really be abused in the traditional sense

Keep your head up, i struggle with mental illness myself its not a very nice thing. With the serious conditions you have it would be fucking hard i imagine. stay safe.

Cheers.

That?s a tough one to answer dude. The relief of symptoms I guess is a form of dependency. Benzos for example are not very recreational per say; but if you suffer debilitating anxiety the relief is pretty euphoric.
I too have mental health issues, so I feel for you immensely.
Please be careful in taking antipsychotics in a way that is not prescribed. Stay safe

I'm prescribed Chrlorpromazine (Thorazine, Largactil) 100mg, three times a day (along with other meds) for Borderline Personality Disorder with Psychotic Depression.

I have a habit of ignoring the "prescribed dose" on my meds and just take what I feel I need/want.

I often take up to 1200mg of Chlorpromazine in one go when I'm feeling bad. I do this several times a week, the reason being the super-zombifying effect means that I don't have to THINK or FEEL like AT ALL. Even on days I don't do this I can take in excess of 800mg/day.

Am I addicted to it? And why can't I find a record of anyone else abusing it? The closest thing I can find is prisoners abusing Seroquel (which I also take).

Funny you mention taking 1200 mg of an anti-psychotic medication, don't you find when you take that large a dose even after you have slept a full 8 hours it takes another 6 hours from when you wake up for the groggy/hung over feeling to go away i know this as i recently took 1200 mg of seroquel at night and the next day i was all zonked out and tired.

Wasn't a pleasant experience that's for sure.

Yes you can get addicted to drugs with no recreational value. SSRI's cause nasty withdrawal.

Any drug that brings on an effect that is attractive to you is certainly able to be addictive, even if not normally considered an addictive substance.

It consistently provides you with an effect that you desire.

I'm not here to pass any judgement.
I however must agree with the general consensus that suggests that's a lot of medicine to take.

What others have said leads me to believe that with this particular medication, the addiction is more of a psychological (no kidding,right?) type verses physical, based on the medications method of action.

There are probably many others that are addicted in the way you are, but rarely discuss this type of addiction.

Glad to discuss further if interested.

I used to be prescribed Fluoxetine (Prozac) and it always made me feel like I was on speed, I constantly had to be doing something lol. I told the doctor this and it was causing Mania! She immediately switched me to Mirtazapine and the Mania stopped. I was getting addicted to the Manic feeling and it gave slight euphoria as well. So I'd say CERTAIN antidepressants can be addictive, I dont know about antipsychotics, i suppose the sedating effect could be addictive as it promotes calmness.

For me the most addictive drugs ive taken are, and in order...

1. Oxycodone (any strong opioid really)
2. Cocaine (Crack as well, but never tried it and never will)
3. Benzos (especially Alprazolam and Clonazepam)
4. Cannabis
5. MDMA

Oxycodone + Alprazolam or Clonazepam is sheer blissful, make sure you've got some sort of tolerance as this drug combo can easily kill u!!

Last edited: