• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Could a 3 week binge (ativan) bring back withdrawal symptoms?

amphetameme

Greenlighter
So, I was addicted to benzos for years and went through hell quitting about 4 months ago. After mostly quitting I only used them on rare occasions (once a week maybe, I have a pretty bad panic disorder). My tolerance never went (anywhere near) back to baseline. About two and a half weeks ago I went on a trip overseas by myself, my first time doing anything like that on my own (I'm 19) and I ended up going through a lot more Ativan than I wanted to. I didn't think that two (almost three) weeks would be enough to give me withdrawal symptoms but I feel like I am having withdrawals again (not as severe as the first time). Does this make any sense or is it likely another cause (I started wellbutrin a couple weeks ago, and just raised my dose the other day so that might explain why I'm sick)

once you've been through withdrawls once you get addicted quicker and quicker each time. its called kindling.

Yeah man most likely you will face withdrawals unfortunately, quicker and quicker with each time you get dependent and then quit.

Best of luck, it may be wise to stop altogether permanently.

yes. there is even a name for it.

the kindling effect, sounds sort of outer-spacey, but no really, it sucks

generally goes like try 24 hours off the sauce and then wake up with a bleeding gash somewhere on my heed and a dull throb and a light myoclonic jerk in my hand adn wondering wtf

it's one of your brain's way's of telling you plzkthx either keep me on forever or stop entirely

there is little to no middle ground

Sorry SKL, I typed all of this up before realizing that you already covered it... :(

I would be really, really surprised if it didn't reinduce withdrawal for you. It really kills me to say this, because Benzodiazepine/Alcohol withdrawal really sucks. You should become acquainted with what is known in Medicine and the Social Sciences as the "Kindling" effect. It is basically a phenomenon in which those that abuse and become dependent upon Alcohol and complete their withdrawal phase, but then resume drinking, will find that it takes a smaller volume of alcohol and a lower frequency and total time of use to find themselves in the same withdrawal situation as before.

Currently, most of the literature surrounding the Kindling Effect have been focused around Alcohol, but I have found through experience and a little research that this effect applies to many different substances. For instance, the first time I became dependent upon Opioids and experienced withdrawal, it took at least a year and at least months of daily use. Now, about ten years later, if I use Opioids for as little as 3 straight days, I can expect to endure some degree of disproportionately severe withdrawal.

We can only assume then, especailly given the close relationship between Benzodiazepines and Alcohol, that the kindling effect will come into play for you. I hope it's not too severe for you. Keep us updated.

Damn.. amphetameme that is not good.. I too suffer from really bad both social/general anxiety, and have been on klonopin for years with valium, and Xanax also prescribed at different times instead of the kpin.. When I started getting them, I always take way too many, because I didn't feel as if my anxiety was totally gone like I wanted, and had gotten from much higher doses than the initial 1mg a day I started on, or actually it was 0.5mg the first month each day, then 1mg for a month, then 2mg for a month and that still wasn't enough.. so as I kept taking more and more, and running out too early and I was on an insurance plan which covered my meds, no pharmacy would give me early refills... it was a pain in the ass, trying to find the perfect dose of kpin, not too high a dose, but nor to low... so I went through this many times, running out way too early and having the super fast metabolism I do, would begin withdrawing within 24-48 hours after having no benzo in my system.. the longest I endured was a full week, when I took WAY too many of them.. that's when my previous doc, who started me on benzos, upped my dose to 4-5mg a day because he knew I would take too many.. and once he did, I was fine.. unless I went on a bad cocaine bender... that always made me take more kpins than I should have.. But just saying, I know the feeling.. and it sucks, and I am sorry your probably going to have to live through that all over again.. that is the most awful feeling on earth, withdrawing from ANY benzo! they all hurt like a motherfucker mentally/physically to w/d from! Good luck! Hope you have the most minimal and least painful wd possible, if they may happen.. which, after being an ex-benzo addict or everyday user, and using Ativan everyday for 3 weeks straight, I'm sorry to say, the others above me are probably right and that you will most likely go into wd.