• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Coughing after heroin shot

ComfortablyNumb95

Bluelight Crew
So every time I shoot heroin I cough during the first few seconds of the rush.
It has happened to me every single time without fail.
I've never seen anyone have this reaction, is it normal? Should I be worried or is it really no big deal?

Thanks in advance.

I wish I could you out. But I've never heard of this before I've heard and witnessed people coughing from meth shots though that seems pretty common

Hey no problem, I can wait :)
Yes I've heard of that, but as you said I've heard it happening with meth only and not with H from what I can recall.

I had this happen along with a terribly runny nose. Its pretty common, I wouldn't worry about it too much just be careful with your doses and try to keep a regular schedule of when you dose so you don't forget how much you've done.

I had the exact same reaction when used to shoot any opioids! The felling that your is tingling like when I smoke a joint!
well it is actually doesn't happen often! Even I'd like to know (always thought it was due to the feeling of craving a smoke right after!) and I don't think you have to worry you are gonna be ok my friend! :)

Don't know about H, but a shot of dilaudid pushed fast into a port completely took my breath away and felt like someone was sitting on my chest. I coughed a little trying to pull air in but I could see it easily causing a coughing fit. Drugs effect some people different so things are possible especially if it happens every time. Unless you feel like your throat is closing and it's making it hard to breath, I can't see a bit of coughing being a big deal.

I totally believe you, not questioning this at all. but I find this really strange as opiates are historically powerful cough suppressants and I have never seen/heard of this happening to anyone I know.

I think opioid are probably good cough suppressants once they start working and numb and suppress the cough reflex. But in the first seconds when nothing is numb yet there is no telling. Especially if like I mentioned, it's caused by a tightening of the chest.

Edit: just want to add I've never used H. But I have had plenty liquid dilaudid pushed into a port or Hickman catheter. It's amazing the difference made by how fast you push. I used to want to slap a nurse that took a long time. Usually the newer nurses doing what they were taught. The nurses that had been working a while usually pushed faster. Especially when writhing in pain. At that point I think the experienced nurses figure pain control is more important than euphoria. Or maybe they had personal experience and had a good idea of who would appreciate it more.

Last edited: