• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Cough medicine + tramadol + imitrex

trippieh3lix

Bluelighter
I take my imitrex meds on an as needed basis, unfortunately I need all 3 today. Apparently Dextromethorphan (cough suppressant), Tramadol (my fibro meds 100mg daily), and Imitrex will interact with one or another.

I know it says don’t combine the two for risk of serotonin syndrome, but I talked to a few pharmacies and got some conflicting info. If I spaced these all apart by say, 2 hours... would I be ok?

It is a possibility for serotonin syndrome. I think many times pharmacists are more aware of drug contraindications than doctors. Did you end up taking all three medications? If you're still feeling sick, it would be a good idea to talk with your physician today. There might be something else he can suggest.

I would advise against taking all 3 or considering removing one drug from the equation. I really think that you'll probably be fine, but you're dealing with a drug (Tramadol) that is well-known for having a plethora of negative drug interactions. It's even dangerous in its own right if you don't follow the prescribing instructions to a Tee. It's not a joke, so I would really consider what you need and don't need. I'm not patronizing you, but I am telling you that this isn't something I would recommend.

If you do end up taking all 3 medications, I would make sure that you have people around or available that can help you get to emergency services if you experience a negative interaction like Serotonin Syndrome or a seizure. Aside from that, there's not much we can do. We will be here for questions and support throughout the progression of this. Do let us know how things end up though!