View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Cotton Ball DMT Vaping

Mons00n

Greenlighter
Hello everyone, I've been a long time lurker and finally decided to join in the fun :D

I have a hopefully simple question for some of you vapor fiends out there. I've never used a vaporizer before, so I decided I'd like to give one a whirl. I ended up choosing to get the Arizer Solo as it seemed to have good reviews and the temperature settings were pretty handy (ranging from 60 to 210.)

So I've been doing as much research as I could on vaping DMT and specifically vaping DMT from an Arizer Solo. I wasn't able to find a lot of sources, or thorough sources (most expect you to be pretty familiar with vaping, which I'm not).

Anyhow, here's what I know:

• Arizer Solo's lowest temperature settings are 60c and 185c
  • DMT vapes at 160c or so and SHOULD be good on the Solo's 185c setting
  • DMT is soluble in IPA, Ethanol, etc.
  • You can vape cotton balls with your concentrates in them.

Okay, so using that information, I wanted to know how well this might work for someone who chose to do it:
  1. Get their choice amount of DMT and mix it until dissolved in IPA or ethanol.
  2. Soak up all the solution in a cotton ball.
  3. Wait for it to dry
  4. Vape that little fella

My thought process in this was that I don't have to waste herbs in making a changa that won't even work properly in my vaporizer (the DMT is gonna vaporize hours before the herbs :p ) and I won't have to worry about the DMT dripping around inside my vaporizer.

The potential concerns I have with this is that:
A. There's no point in taking this much time to do this when I could just sandwich the DMT in cotton balls instead.
B. No matter what method I use, the DMT will make my $150 investment stink and useless for anything else.
C. The cotton ball will release some sort of material that I don't wanna breathe

So, what I wanna know is:
If you sandwich the DMT or use a method like described here, will some of the DMT still condense inside the vaporizer and cause an awful smell and bad future vaping?

Would dissolving the DMT into the cotton ball hold any potential benefits or is that a waste of time?

I've heard rumored that cotton balls release a nasty chemical at 150c... is there any truth to that?

1) Yes, no matter what you do there will be DMT resin, and yes it will make your vape pretty nasty.

2) I don't see any benefits from using a cotton ball and actually think that would be way worse than without one.

3) Not 100% positive, but I'm pretty into e-cigs and vaping and whenever you use cotton as a wick you boil it in water first unless you have sterile and organic cotton (has to be both to be safe). Although if cotton itself does, then that does nothing.

1) Yes, no matter what you do there will be DMT resin, and yes it will make your vape pretty nasty.

2) I don't see any benefits from using a cotton ball and actually think that would be way worse than without one.

3) Not 100% positive, but I'm pretty into e-cigs and vaping and whenever you use cotton as a wick you boil it in water first unless you have sterile and organic cotton (has to be both to be safe). Although if cotton itself does, then that does nothing.

Ah... I'm not so sure I wanna be doing this with my new toy then... I guess I'll have to weigh my options. I'm guessing it's not very simple to clean these things out as I've heard so many people mention that DMT will leave so much behind, effectively ruining your vape.

Okay, in response to your second answer, how would you recommend administering it through a vaporizer? Sandwiched between some herbs?

Boiling the cotton... Very good, I'll make sure to save that ^-^

Yea if it's a nice vaporizer it would probably be a total bitch to clean, if you were even able to get it all out.

Honestly, out of the 30-40+ times I've done it, I've only used two methods, the sandwiching method and I think it was the Vaporgenie? Vaporgenie was so long ago I don't remember results compared to sandwiching, but I've always found sandwiching to work very well. I actually don't like using bud though as it tends to muddy the high and make it harder to remember what happened after you come down. I'm partial to using green tea actually.

Yea if it's a nice vaporizer it would probably be a total bitch to clean, if you were even able to get it all out.

Honestly, out of the 30-40+ times I've done it, I've only used two methods, the sandwiching method and I think it was the Vaporgenie? Vaporgenie was so long ago I don't remember results compared to sandwiching, but I've always found sandwiching to work very well. I actually don't like using bud though as it tends to muddy the high and make it harder to remember what happened after you come down. I'm partial to using green tea actually.

Great, well I can't see any reason to go out of my way and wait hours for a cotton ball to dry when I can just pop in some herbs and have at it. I was thinking about trying with damiana flowers.... Do you have any input on that?
I'll probably be giving this a go on Saturday. If it works, hopefully I'll write a little report on how I went about it so if anyone else is in my position they don't have to click around for hours trying to figure out what each little thing is along the way =D

Damiana will work, anything that's "safely" smokeable.

Could try putting it in a little bit of foil and wrapping the foil lightly into a ball around it. I don't know if DMT would react with aluminum or not but you could give it a try. I smoked synthetic cannabinoids that way. I just wrapped it so that the open parts of the wrapping were on one side of the ball and then placed the ball into a hash pipe with that side facing down so that the vapor wouldn't shoot out the top of the ball and ignite. Worked nicely. You gotta make sure you don't hold the flame on the foil for too long though or the foil will melt and presumably emit some aluminum fumes, which is not good. With a vaporizer that only gets up to 185 C you should be safe on that.

Could try putting it in a little bit of foil and wrapping the foil lightly into a ball around it. I don't know if DMT would react with aluminum or not but you could give it a try. I smoked synthetic cannabinoids that way. I just wrapped it so that the open parts of the wrapping were on one side of the ball and then placed the ball into a hash pipe with that side facing down so that the vapor wouldn't shoot out the top of the ball and ignite. Worked nicely. You gotta make sure you don't hold the flame on the foil for too long though or the foil will melt and presumably emit some aluminum fumes, which is not good. With a vaporizer that only gets up to 185 C you should be safe on that.
Well, I'm not sure if I'm envisioning what you're saying wrong, but that sounds like it might allow the DMT to drip out the bottom into the vape and that's something I definitely don't want to happen.

Well, I'm not sure if I'm envisioning what you're saying wrong, but that sounds like it might allow the DMT to drip out the bottom into the vape and that's something I definitely don't want to happen.

Yeah, since it's a vape instead of a pipe I guess you wouold want to put the open side of the ball upwards. Actually, though, considering the large amount of material to be vaped, like 50 mg, you would need a pretty big ball of foil to hold it all. Synth cannabinoids only need a tiny amount so it works well with the foil ball. I guess with DMT you would need something to hold a big puddle of it until it all boils away. In that case you're only viable route would be glassware with a bulb part for the drugs to sit in. I don't know if the vaporizer would even work with that much material.