• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

🧑‍🌾 Gardening 🧑‍🌾 Corn plant moldy??

Gardening

Jerry Atrick

Bluelight Crew
Does anyone know about Dracaena corn plants?

I have had this one for like 6 or 7 years, maybe longer. The top pic is a reference for how she looks when healthy. I have had to cut the leaves off at the trunk a few times because she just gets too big to keep inside.

So I had to move in December and the plant was over 7 feet tall. I decided to cut her top off again but this time because of not having anywhere to keep her in the house due to boxes and furniture everywhere, I ended up keeping the plant in the garage for a week or so. On top of this we had some freezing temperatures for a few days.

I checked on her and noticed what appeared to be mold growing on the trunk at the cut locations. I was finally able to bring the plant inside and get her back on a healthy watering regimen. The problem is the the new leaves have not yet sprouted and it's now been about a month since I cut off the top. Normally the new leaves begin to sprout within a week. Below are photos of what I'm talking about.

Is she already dead or going to die? Is there anything that can be done to revive my plant? I'm starting to lose hope :(

Healthy:
Samantha-healthy.jpg

One stalk below:
20230106-164920.jpg

20230106-164801.jpg

The other stalk:
20230106-164735.jpg

Only time will tell, if you haven’t yet, cut off any moldy/rotten spots. I’ve had mold on cacti before that you can surgically remove, not a guarantee but it helps.

-GC

Only time will tell, if you haven’t yet, cut off any moldy/rotten spots. I’ve had mold on cacti before that you can surgically remove, not a guarantee but it helps.

-GC
I thought about doing that but wanted some confirmation if it would work. Thank you, I will try this <3

Have to ask but what about the medium (soil); has it been changed at all?
Thank you! It may be hard to tell from the pics but the one on top shows the plant in a medium sized green pot. In the moldy pics the plant is in a large orange pot. I re-potted/swapped out the soil about 2 or 3 years ago.

Do you think re-potting now would help or should cutting off the bad parts solve it?