Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Cooking with Psilocybin: A question for the community

John D'oh

Greenlighter
Hi, guys,

Someone I know makes mushroom bars for his friends and family, using tempered chocolate no higher than 90 degrees F. He was wondering, what's the maximum temp he could mix his product with before degradation of the psilocybin? He wants to make toffee, and he wants to dose it accurately, which means stirring it in with the candy, but this takes the temp in excess of 240 degrees. Would you get significant degradation at this point? He imagines you would, since that's well above the boiling point of water.

Thanks

Just use the first person in the forums John, the forums don't allow the use of these kinds of proxies.

And welcome to bluelight man.

240 is not really much above the bp of water? Also I used to think like most people that boiling temps are harmful to the alkaloids (which yes are sensitive under *some* conditions which don't really apply here). But I actually don't believe they are from what I've read since.
It still doesn't seem like a good idea to apply a boiling water kind of temp for very very prolonged periods like many hours or days but it doesn't sound like it would be all that long in your case. People make tea with it too all the time and it shouldn't be significantly weaker especially if you eat the residue. There has been some more solid testing than tea brewing though iirc.

Can you not let the toffee cool just a little bit more to like 220F or would that require inhuman strength to stir properly? I have no idea at what kind of temperatures there might relatively suddenly be a lot quicker degradation. Reactions are sometimes about energy thresholds and they can be a bit abrupt. 8)