• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Continuing Cannabis Consumption!

Psychedalienation

Bluelighter
So I've been smoking weed for about 4 years now, and as of recently, my dealer moved away and I lost my job. So now I have to pay alot more for weed because my hookup is gone and I have no money to even do so.

I thought I was self medicating my depression/anxiety/insomnia/adhd disorders and using pot recreationally every day until this situation happened and I moved to drinking. I started drinking a little and long story short, (I have a more detailed thread on this matter) I got addicted and fucked up my life and now I am going to be attending rehab!

I want to not act out addictive behaviors but I feel like if after rehab, and after I learn coping skills and all that, if I smoke weed, I'll be acting out an addictive behavior by consuming a mind altering substance. And as much of a pothead as I am, I'm not going to sit here and say "shit man, it's just fucking weed" because everything has a potential for addiction/unhealthy abuse.

So will I be going back into an addictive state of mind by smoking weed, even with a "recreational/medical" mindset, or will I run the risk of turning to other drugs/alcohol again by continuing? I guess I am afraid of never smoking weed again because I fucking love it but I don't want this addictive disease anymore so I am afraid of my own mind.

Not sure if this belongs in the cannabis discussion or the sober living forums mods, so move as you please, sorry, I couldn't officially decide lol.

well there is no question here.. no direct one at least.

only you would be able to know whether you can handle the weed again and not abuse it. for starters it's probably better to abuse than most other drugs but what's wrong with focusing on self control and responsibility before you start smoking again?

be true to yourself and just don't fall into the grips of abusing pot...

well there is no question here.. no direct one at least.

only you would be able to know whether you can handle the weed again and not abuse it. for starters it's probably better to abuse than most other drugs but what's wrong with focusing on self control and responsibility before you start smoking again?

be true to yourself and just don't fall into the grips of abusing pot...
Yeah anyways, there is a clear question being asked but thanks for the advice, I'll try that.

well the direct question is asking what only you can answer:).
Well I wanted advice from a more psychological/scientific perspective than what I already know, I should have been more specific. I basically wanted to know what my therapists are going to tell me when I attend rehab sooner rather than later.

Cannabis can absolutely be used as a maintenance drug and as the only drug a person uses over a long period of time. I personally know multiple people in recovery from various hard drugs who use cannabis medicine, and I've encountered others. Some found cannabis first and then returned, some discovered cannabis for the first time in recovery.

Just because the current rehab-industrial complex does not accept anything other than total abstinence doesn't mean that's the best answer for everyone. That should probably not include drinking, at least not until you've been stable for some time---but using cannabis, something you used to manage your conditions for years (a reasonable thing to do imo, I do it myself), is not an unsafe proposition.

It does become exponentially harder though when you're accessing it illegally though. Is it possible you could relocate after rehab? The cost would also be much more manageable.

^^ Agree a lot with this post - whether using cannabis regularly is addiction or medicine largely depends on how you are approaching it. I take cannabis oil every day, if I were to stop I'm sure I would have some withdrawal symptoms and a hard time for a bit, but I don't consider it an addiction because it is medicine to me that helps me with numerous health conditions and other things I struggle with. Like any medicine, whether or not it works for you depends on so many factors and it's up to you to decide for yourself. Living in a medical state can help a lot though because you have much better access to a range of different medicines with different uses, advice from trained (though there is not much standard in this yet) professionals, and usually much less expensive meds that you can also potentially grow for yourself. A lot of the difference between a medicine and an addiction is just about a conscious and respectful relationship with the substance in question - what this actually looks like is different for everyone, but those who know they are prone to addiction will have to factor that in to deciding for themselves. I guess for some people the best relationship is often none. I guess that is a pretty vague response that doesn't actually answer anything =D