• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Contentious Documentary: Countdown to Delirium (theagetv.com)

Halif

Bluelighter
Just watched this, and as usual it was a mixture of some sensible points, some hilarious crap (I love media drug slang), and some downright irritating inconsistencies. Warning: they show an annoying advertisement with jaunty music, then immediately repeat the same ad. The same fucking ad. Twice in a row. Have something else to do in those breaks, and have "mute" ready. The repetition of that ad is likely to cause psychosis and outbursts of rage. End warning.

Some of the things I noted while watching, in no particular structure:

My single biggest issue with this 40-something minute program is that they consistently use the term "Ecstasy", and by doing so contribute to the confusion and misinformation regarding MDMA. I don't think they actually mention MDMA once. Just "Ecstasy". What is "Ecstasy"? Are there people out there who still think that buying a pill with the slang name "Ecstasy" guarantees that they'll get lots of MDMA? Or ANY MDMA?

That's the crux of the issue right there. Enough with the stupid slang terms. "Ecstasy" is no longer synonymous with MDMA. It's extremely dangerous to believe it is. I believe "Ecstasy" should be at the top of the list of most dangerous drugs, because the fact is, in most cases people seek out a pill called "E" or "Ecstasy" or "Eccies" or whatever the fuck - and then take it without knowing what is or isn't in it. What could be more dangerous than taking a random pill, which comes from somehwere you don't know, contains one or two or ten ingredients - again, you don't know, and may or may not have ANY MDMA in it.

That killed the credibility of the whole thing for me. I fucking hate drug slang with a passion (unless you are at home, with people you know and you're just screwing around with words for fun). I despise the fact that the media has played a consistent and dangerous role in latching on to terms like "Ecstasy" and "Bath Salts". It's ridiculous and only serves to create further confusion about what people are taking and what is or isn't actually harmful.

They are generally positive when speaking about "Ecstasy" - that makes it worse!!! Use the fucking chemical name, for Gods sake!! Saying that "Ecastasy" is relatively safe if used sparingly in controlled conditions means NOTHING, because "Ecstasy" means NOTHING. It's just a name a pill which has stuff in it.

Dear Media, I know some of you mean well, but please catch up a decade or two and start specifically naming chemicals. Teach people what chemicals are repsponsible for the effects they are chasing. Do NOT keep dragging around redundant and dangerous slang terms.

I admit that I had a good laugh at some of the 'street' names for drugs. I don't know, maybe these are relevant in the UK street scene, but I have friends and associates from all over and there are some things in here that are pretty dubious (although very creative!):

LSD = paper mushrooms (hehe, is this a thing?)

Cannabis = Bob (uhh, what?)

Methadone = Precious, Green, Slime (not heard of any of those for methadone. "green"?! how confusing!!)

Please, please, please media, stop with the colourful and ultimately dangerous slang names. They're stupid, outdated, made-up, and just serve to further confuse people and set back the whole 'harm reduction through education' movement. I sometimes think the media wants to throw a spanner in the works. Where else do you hear idiotic terms like "meow meow" for mephedrone?

I also take issue with the cannabis segment, because there's NOT ONE MENTION of synthetics, which are THE danger at this moment. And secondly, what the fuck kind of test was that? Shooting a guy up with pure THC to see how the brain reacts to the effects of cannabis? Way to invalidate the study. It almost looked like they were trying to make the guy go psycho. Who slams pure THC? What's the relevance to 99.9% of cannabis users here?

And... it saddens me to see that Heroin sits at number one THE MOST DANGEROUS DRUG EVAH!!!

God, what a piece of shit bit of "journalism". Way to reinforce outmoded ideas and spread ignorance. It really does seem like it was designed to make reinforce stereotypes and keep people from moving forwards and actually taking control of their own health and safety with facts and clear information.

Bah!

Last edited:
I don't think this is really the right place to post something like this. Plus this "Documentary/TV Special" was on like 4 or 5 years ago on the BBC over in the U.K. It Never aired in the USA. And by the way to any of you guys that want to watch this "TV show" called "Countdown to Delirium: The Debate over Drug Classifications." You can watch it here on youtube:----->> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1CESMJaiV8

I have no idea what the OP is really talking about with his title and the web address www.theagetv.com is but its a website that does not exist.:?:?

There is a much better TV special from the BBC about Heroin/opiates that is from like the 90s or maybe early 2000's that is one of the best and intellectual and gives the straight facts about the drug.. Its not biased one way or the other and its probably one of the be documentary type shows about drugs (opiates in particular). When I find it I shall come back and post a link to it.

Last edited:
^Ah shit, sorry for making a mess of it all.

I should've written up a proper introduction, included a link, etc. SOrry guys, and thanks Poledriver, you're a legend:)

I think that stupid doco got me too fired up to think straight....

Apologies.

THank YOU, Poledriver, for helping me out of this mess. Clearly, this is not my domain to be posting in - especially when I'm not thinking clearly. I tried. I failed.

Apologies again for the confusion - that'll teach me to take something posted on a mainstream Australian news site as up-to-date or relevant!! Haha!

SOrry guys. Promise it won't happen again. Be well:)