Open Discussion Content quality accountability in TL

phr

Ex-Bluelighter
It seems like TL is the only forum (admittedly I don't browse all of them) where people aren't held accountable for the quality of their posts.

I'm not referring to rule violations, (veiled) offensive humor that one may not find funny, off topic posts, etc. I'm talking about non-sensical spam-like posts that are objectively deemed as bullshit by the majority. These have been acknowledged by regular members and staff at all levels. And yet they still happen and are allowed to happen. The only respite is when those posters give up or are banned for some other offense.

Can't this be fixed?

I can kind of see where you are coming from phro and you know I hate rules and bannings and such. Remember when a certain downer poster was forced to take a break he toned down his spam posts considerably. It could be argued that by spamming he is simply attempting to troll you and others like you though I doubt that is the case. I suspect you will be advised to use the ignore feature. I am forced to use it with one poster myself.

I use the ignore function. It's laughable when someone spams, let alone multiple posters spamming. Staff have expressed their agreement, in public and private, about these shitty posters and their lack of ability to really do anything about it.

My question is what do they get out of it? I come here for the laughs with people that have a similar sense of humor as mine. If I did not participate I likely would not post here much. Soundsystem is a non participating poster but he doesnt spam so he gets a pass. D'ss sort of participates and therefore his nonesense posts are tolerated. It is all about those that participate and those that do not.

I'm not a regular member of The Lounge although I do post there now n then but I've recently made a similar posts about the another thread. I really don't understand why people spam it seems like waste off time n just makes these posters look silly. I find it really annoying. Plus it waste staff's time which isn't fair when they're volunteers n have a hard enough job to do as it is. It also ruins things for everyone else.

Evey

It would be nice if sr staff could take some time out from their busy schedules to provide some input

i defer to the lounge staff.

if you see a post which you feel is problematic, report it.

if you feel the lounge lacks quality posts, contribute some quality posts.

alasdair

I think Bob wants more alasdairm input in the lounge, if I am reading things correctly.

Alasdairm brings up a good point, the Director of Public Relations should defer in forum quality and how it looks to the outside world. That is none of his business IMHE.

-----

I don't agree with saying "post more quality posts." That does nothing to spam-like posts that ruin the forum to begin with. Plus, it's a lot easier to pump out 100's of waffle and potato nonsense than funny posts. It's akin to telling someone to sign up for legitimate email subscriptions to get rid of the spam in their inbox. You want to get rid of the bad drivers? Just drive better yourself!

I do report them.

The fact of the matter is we're in a situation where we have most of the forum staff, and most of the active quality post contributors, agreeing that the product can be better. Yet, the mods are not given the power to guide the delivery of that better product.

If you don't want to ban such posters for that stuff, at least let mods UA their shit.

To be fair to staff they are volunteers n cant be around 24/7 sp that's why they ask us to report stuff. They do try their best fair play.

Evey

Yet, the mods are not given the power to guide the delivery of that better product.

If you don't want to ban such posters for that stuff, at least let mods UA their shit.
this is just nonsense.

there's nothing stopping the lounge staff unapproving the content you're describing. what have they said when you contacted them to discuss raising this bar?

alasdair

I don't think it's nonsense. All they really have to deal with such posts is the "jackassery" clause. Even then, it doesn't appear that there is any senior staff support, or a push, to using that to get rid of such posts in order to improve quality.

I haven't contacted them. Please link to this thread in their modthread.

Idk editing content is a slippery slope. While I agree there are more than a few spam posters in the lounge that you or I may not find funny, others might. I generally fall to the side of anarchy so I may be biased, but not necessarily. Also there is the 'whom really gives a fuck just scroll past it' argument which typically wins favour by default.

This is quite subjective and pointless. Find a new lounge if this one's quality is dropping. Not surprised to see this made it nowhere.

Who's to judge content quality? A couple "old schoolers"?

Also there is the 'whom really gives a fuck just scroll past it' argument which typically wins favour by default.

do this or put "non funny" users on ignore. Isn't that what you already do?

^ it's always somebody else's fault - usually the bl staff - dontchaknow?

:)

alasdair

People complained about the same shit in 2008 when I first joined lol and people think I'm the one who complains all the time.