• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Constant Tiredness and Headaches

TheHedonist99

Greenlighter
Hey BLers,

I CONSTANTLY feel tired, no matter whether I get good sleep or not, feeling this sort of ache behind my eyes all day long, sort of like a minor chronic tension headache, but behind the eyes. It's sort of like there's a weight on my head at all times. Any ideas?

I recommend a sleep study, there is a connection between sleep apnea and headaches. The headaches typically improve if you can improve the sleep. Many people with sleep apnea+headaches report their headaches disappeared after their sleep apnea was treated.

The mainstay of sleep apnea is no matter how much you sleep you never feel rested. Also just to be clear skinny people most definitely get sleep apnea, and there are types that are not associated with snoring though it certainly is the most classic sign. Not being able to breathe well through the nose (and one side of the nose closing off when trying to sleep on your side and such) lends itself to sleep apnea as well.

Cut out gluten and dairy, easy to rule out intolerances then.

Are you depressed? Are you doing more than you can and burning yourself out?

Constant headaches may be nothing more than stress or tiredness but could also be something more serious. Worth chatting to a Dr if you can access one.

There is too little info in the OP to make any sort of an informed opinion, imho!

I fear I have some neurological damage, though I have never taken any drug above weed (though I plan to take hallucinogens, dissociatives and empathogens - nothing seriously addictive). Essentially, I have quite a lot of HPPD-like symptoms (tinnitus, visual snow (I have pixelated vision) and entopic closed-eye hallucinations (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imsY2by6Tbg), as well as occasional distortions of objects. I have never, however, had trails (though I do have minor afterimages) or intensifying of colours).

Hey BLers,

I CONSTANTLY feel tired, no matter whether I get good sleep or not, feeling this sort of ache behind my eyes all day long, sort of like a minor chronic tension headache, but behind the eyes. It's sort of like there's a weight on my head at all times. Any ideas?

I have also experienced these headaches. Sometimes it lasts for 3 days or more.
I know it's related to stress as the levels of cortisol in my blood were a bit higher than usual.

Exercises would normally help.
In some cases people have to avoid or stop certain food, like those without gluten.

Last edited:
I fear I have some neurological damage, though I have never taken any drug above weed (though I plan to take hallucinogens, dissociatives and empathogens - nothing seriously addictive). Essentially, I have quite a lot of HPPD-like symptoms (tinnitus, visual snow (I have pixelated vision) and entopic closed-eye hallucinations (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imsY2by6Tbg), as well as occasional distortions of objects. I have never, however, had trails (though I do have minor afterimages) or intensifying of colours).

First thing is to avoid all substances until you know what is what!

You need to see a neurologist and work from there. I have a few neurological problems and they all interact/interfere with each other.

Have you access to anyway decent healthcare?

And cut out the gluten and dairy while you wait. Some neurological problems leave people very sensitive to those substances.

I definitely don't have any intolerances to any foods, and yeah where I live we have free healthcare.

I think that this sort of neurological condition isn't really a neurological condition but greater awareness. Most people, I believe, subconsciously ignore e.g. their tinnitus (EVERYBODY has tinnitus), just as we all subconsciously ignore all the hairs on our body brushing against our skin. However, people with more awareness (either due to in my case anxiety or drug use) are conscious of these discrepancies that we are meant to ignore (interestingly, this could explain why people get itchy when talking about lice, for example)

That entopic phenomena is somthinhg I've had as long as I can remember! Never knew it had a name!

I believe chronic sleep deprivation is a big contributor to HPPD-like symptoms, I've noticed some since I was little and then got full on HPPD later but personally they get a lot worse for me depending on whether I've slept or not.

For sure see a neurologist if you can but I think I'm still surprised at how little we still know about the brain sometimes. There are a lot of things that could potentially be thrown in with a very light autism spectrum disorder, and the things you describe are typical of it. Especially the visual symptoms and increased sensitivity.

This is exactly how I feel if I'm not on an NMDA antagonist. I truly believe now it is caused by glutamatergic over excitation by whatever cause, the theory about inflammation & immune response brought up by fellow bluelighters in my NMDA-oversensitivity-depression thread here is very intriguing.

But yes of course, do not experiment with potent drugs unless you really know what you're doing & the science behind. I guess trying out glutamate antagonists shouldn't hurt though, memantine being the one with the least risks possibly.

First thing is to avoid all substances until you know what is what!

You need to see a neurologist and work from there. I have a few neurological problems and they all interact/interfere with each other.

Have you access to anyway decent healthcare?

And cut out the gluten and dairy while you wait. Some neurological problems leave people very sensitive to those substances.

Excellent! I seems like a good advice.
Good luck!! :)
Erik

Problem is that the neurologists probably won't have the time and/or knowledge (unfortunately) to really dive into the science.

The gluten could be worth to try. Also there is the possibility for glutamate etc. to pass the BBB in certain individuals leading to overexcitation and neurotoxicity, but I guess this is exceedingly rare (and you would notice direct adverse effects from certain meals, I do not get any effects from heavily glutamate seasoned things like asian instant noodles).

Really ask the neurologist about the glutamate / NMDA over excitatory thing. Unfortunately many will not listen to you, I've had an appointment yesterday with one that has a good reputation in my area and he just hadn't the time and/or will to look at all the evidence I wanted to show him and called me a hypochondriac.

Edit: This entopic phenomena is truly interesting. I have this too, as well as tinnitus, ever since my early childhood - sometimes more, sometimes less pronounced but it was always there. And it's qualitatively different from the psychedelic trails / HPPD. Again, it all fits into glutamatergic overactivity. NMDA antagonism relieves these things. The neramexane-tinnitus thing is intriguing, but unfortunately they did not get positive study outcome.

Last edited: