• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Considering weening off my medications

sogno

Greenlighter
I'm 27 years old, since around 22-23yo I started to feel depressed and decided to talk to a psychotherapist, she then suggested me to talk with a psychiatrist.
He put me on zoloft 50 mg, zyprexa 5mg and lorazepam 1mg. I was feeling better but way more anxious, so during my therapy he decided to up my dosage until I reached 3,5mg lorazepam everyday. After a couple of years thanks to therapy and medications I was feeling better so he decided to ween me off from zoloft, however I was still on zyprexa 5mg and 3,5mg lorazepam.
As far as I know I don't suffer of very serious mental issues like psychosis, bipolar disorder, or schizophrenia but just depression, social anxiety and ocd.
As far as I know you should take these drugs for a limited period of time but its four years I'm on zyprexa and lorazepam, however I have reduced the dosages during the last two years or so and now I'm on zyprexa 5 mg and only 1mg lorazepam. Honestly I want to be off these drugs, I hate being on them. I can't say I'm feeling well at the moment, but my desire is to be off of them, but my doctor seems to want me on these drugs for as long as possible and I feel I will be on them for other years if I follow his instructions. I want to be off because I'm suffering from side effects: I feel drugged all the time, my memory is WAY worse and other side effects but I must admit I'm feeling less side effects since I'm on lower dosages. I'm also VERY worried about the long term effects of the benzo and the ap in my health and I'm worried I might never ricover.

Is intelligent to ween off of the medications on my own without contacting my doctor? Or should I follow the instructions of my doctor? Obviously I'm planning to do a slow taper and not going cold turkey.
Thanks for your help.

I believe that doctors and clients should work together. If you want to try tapering off it should be your perogative to try--it is your mind and your body after all. On the other hand, your doctor may have legitimate concerns and you need to weigh those concerns with your own. Perhaps you would feel better working with a different doctor? My son saw several psychiatrists throughout his life and there was a huge difference of opinion as to medications (what kind, how much, for how long, etc.) So my advice is to find someone on the same page as your desires to minimize or eliminate medications that can guide you through the tapering process safely while being an outside monitor of the situation.