• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Considering Going from Buprenorphine (Single Ingredient) to Methadone

Sasquatchjezus

Greenlighter
Hi y'all,
I'm currently taking between 4-8 mg buprenorphine daily. I either take 4mg in the morning for the whole day, or 4mg 2x daily, or 8 in the morning. Taking buprenorphine twice daily seems to work better, even when I take 8mg. By work better I mean that taking it only once seems to wear off earlier in the evening, which didn't happen when I started BMT. I don't believe more than 8mg would be helpful as 8 makes me feel drowsy at points, but if I were to start taking 8mg daily I could likely acclimate to this. I am wondering if y'all have any advice as far as this goes.
Onto my next part, I am wondering what any of y'all have to say about going from buprenorphine to methadone. I imagine it would be a fairly uncommon switch, with more people going from methadone to buprenorphine. I'd normally look for NCBI articles about the topic, but anything I did find was about methadone maintenance to buprenorphine maintenance. Has anybody had this experience in the past or have any advice regarding the pharmacology? I don't know if y'all are allowed to post links to outside sites even if it's a link to a study, but if you can go ahead, I'd be interested to see some research into the topic. I do have chronic nerve pain as well as opioid dependency if that information helps. I was also wondering what the maximum number of day's that are allowed to be supplied for take home by a clinic in the US is, and whether anyone who has made this type of switch has had a clinic honor their time spent in treatment with clean drug screens. I have had nearly a year in treatment with buprenorphine and never had a dirty urinalysis within that time.
I appreciate any information any of y'all are able to provide on any of the topics. I know having every question I have answered is a tall order, but let me know if y'all need any more information on my case. I expect a lot of the information about clinics to vary from state to state and from clinic to clinic, and as far as now I have not gone to a clinic for dosing, the clinic I went to initially sent me to a doctor as they were already at a large number of patients. Thanks for the time y'all have a good weekend.
-Sasquatch Jesus

I wouldnt recommend it if buprenorphine twice a day is working well for you. Ive known a few persons who have switched to methadone but all of them wanted the methadone to feel a nod again.

Why change a recipe that works?

I wouldnt recommend it if buprenorphine twice a day is working well for you. Ive known a few persons who have switched to methadone but all of them wanted the methadone to feel a nod again.

Why change a recipe that works?
I was taking the nod into consideration, but honestly not terribly worth having to get up early, or all the piss tests all the time, and limitation of my dose/take homes if I do slip up, which I hope doesn't happen. But I appreciate the response, and in the end have to agree with the "why change a recipe that works" quote, it just makes sense to stay with the subutex 2x daily at this point. Any chance you know anything about the buprenorphine patch (Butrans?)? Was considering it, it would probably be better for the teeth and provide all day/night pain relief and chase away w/d with ease. Thanks again, stay hydrated and safe
-Sasquatch Jesus

Sadly, no. Try to find some info on the net, I bet there is. And good choice! In the long run I think you did a right choice.

Sadly, no. Try to find some info on the net, I bet there is. And good choice! In the long run I think you did a right choice.
I agree, and largely because it rids me of the temptation to put stuff up my nose, if my septums not already ruptured, I don't want it to whistle when I inhale lol. Also because like I said it provides pain relief 24/7 along with keeping me out of w/d. I'll talk to my doc about it tomorrow, and appreciate the advice. Been having a lot of cravings lately, don't want some habits to reemerge. Gonna check out the recovery forum, seems pretty supportive.