• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Consecutive days opiate use and withdrawals

Rocketman1972

Greenlighter
I?ve used oxycodone on and off for years and have gone through withdrawal several times. It?s been 18 months since I?ve taken any oxycodone, but how many days in a row would I have to take opiates at say 20 mg oxy before it caused me to have withdrawals again? I don?t have a big prescription so I won?t be in danger of using everyday.

I always say 21 days of daily use and you are going to feel like shit coming off. if you have been through withdrawal and know what to look for you may notice some of the symptoms on a week of heavy use everyone is different.

No one is going to be able to say with any certainty. I will say though that it can be surprisingly short, for myself, years ago the last time I relapsed after years of sobriety I relapsed on oxycodone(not heroin), and the very next day I was waking up to a runny nose, yawning, and sore muscles...which gave me enough of an excuse to go ahead and dose again the next day even though I had told myself I wasn't going to. 3-4 days before I was pretty much fully dependent again.

That makes no sense does it Coolwhip? I mean the body adapts so after time we come off its going to take time to re-adapt but if you use again in a years time why would you get sick after one use? Its strange how things work, you would think that you might have a slight tolerance because you don't have those virgin receptors but you would never expect to go back into withdrawal after that long period. very odd indeed.

It sucks but that's the way it is, probably because of epigenetic changes which never return to baseline. Your body is primed and ready for the next time you take opiates, no matter how long it's been, WD is caused by many different mechanisms, but one of which is the production of Substance P which counteracts the effects of opiates, and when the opiates leave the body Substance P is still going strong. Of course, Substance P is just one facet of the myriad of biological processes behind WD, but it makes a good example, as soon as you take opiates again your body starts cranking it out just like it did before you quit.