• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Confusion....

greenfire

Greenlighter
So I'm looking at the dosing chart and it says Morphine 30 mg PO . Can someone please tell me what PO means?

As for oxycodone, it says 20mg....I was also reading about the CWE and APAP. I get the basics of CWE, but I don't know what APAP means?

Essentially, for a 130# lb person what would be safe and what would be the numbers for overdosing, please? I know there are no hard and fast rules, but some guidance would be appreciated.....

I lost my 14 yo son to suicide recently (when I started taking oxy) and I've been diagnosed w stage 3 uterine cancer....so I take oxycodone every 3 weeks to help with the pain of chemo treatments, but it seems to take more, every time....

Thank You

Hello and WELCOME. I am so sorry for your loss, and for your diagnosis. I don't know a lot about meds, but APAP is acetaminophen. Too much of that (as in Tylenol) is bad for your liver/kidneys. Is your Oxycodone with APAP (Percocet) or without (Oxy IR)?

Others will come along with far more knowledge than I. Until then, I send ((HUGS)).

PO is Latin for "by mouth" so it is referring to taking medication orally. APAP is an acronym for acetaminophen which is generic Tylenol. Percocet is oxycodone and acetaminophen mixed together. The amount of each is listed on the bottle as */*mg (e.g. 5/325mg which would equal 5mg of oxycodone and 325mg of acetaminophen). CWE (cold water extraction) is used to decrease the overall amount of acetaminophen to prevent liver damage. The maximum recommended amount of acetaminophen in 24hrs is 3000mg. So depending on the strength of your pills and how many you are taking (I'm assuming it's a fairly low amount) you may not need to worry about extracting the acetaminophen at this point. It is also best used for large amounts of pills at once as the fewer the pills you attempt to extract the more active ingredient you lose in the process. CWE is necessary for higher doses if you begin taking more though to prevent complications. If you start taking more ask your doctor for oxycodone without the Tylenol. You can say it upsets your stomach or that you're worried about the long term effects of high dose acetaminophen on your liver. With you being a cancer patient I don't see why they wouldn't change it for you.

As far as strict amounts to stay under to prevent overdose, this largely depends on your current tolerance (how much oxycodone you are using regularly for pain) and your natural tolerance to opiates (everyone is different, what might be too much for some would not be enough for others). If you are only used to 5mg percocet doses I would not exceed 15mg your first time. If you choose to increase your dose during subsequent sessions I would increase by 5mg increments until you reach the dose that works for you.

And lastly, I'm sorry about your son. I have two sons myself and could not imagine how it would feel to lose them. Drugs are a small bandaid over a gaping wound when dealing with severe grief. Are you seeing a counselor? If not consider it. I understand you are just looking for some relief from the pain (both physical from your cancer treatment and emotional from your loss) but in the long run numbing yourself with opiates will cause you even more pain. They will also become less helpful at treating your physical pain if you begin to abuse them. Once your tolerance builds you will have a difficult time getting relief from reasonable dosages when you actually need them.

Be cautious and reach out to someone you trust to talk about your situation. There's a great group of supportive people in the forums here on BL. Check out the Dark Side.

And keep asking questions before experimenting to keep yourself safe. Welcome.

TY for taking the time to write such a thorough response. It's more than appreciated.

PO is Latin for "by mouth" so it is referring to taking medication orally. APAP is an acronym for acetaminophen which is generic Tylenol. Percocet is oxycodone and acetaminophen mixed together. The amount of each is listed on the bottle as */*mg (e.g. 5/325mg which would equal 5mg of oxycodone and 325mg of acetaminophen). CWE (cold water extraction) is used to decrease the overall amount of acetaminophen to prevent liver damage. The maximum recommended amount of acetaminophen in 24hrs is 3000mg. So depending on the strength of your pills and how many you are taking (I'm assuming it's a fairly low amount) you may not need to worry about extracting the acetaminophen at this point. It is also best used for large amounts of pills at once as the fewer the pills you attempt to extract the more active ingredient you lose in the process. CWE is necessary for higher doses if you begin taking more though to prevent complications. If you start taking more ask your doctor for oxycodone without the Tylenol. You can say it upsets your stomach or that you're worried about the long term effects of high dose acetaminophen on your liver. With you being a cancer patient I don't see why they wouldn't change it for you.

As far as strict amounts to stay under to prevent overdose, this largely depends on your current tolerance (how much oxycodone you are using regularly for pain) and your natural tolerance to opiates (everyone is different, what might be too much for some would not be enough for others). If you are only used to 5mg percocet doses I would not exceed 15mg your first time. If you choose to increase your dose during subsequent sessions I would increase by 5mg increments until you reach the dose that works for you.

And lastly, I'm sorry about your son. I have two sons myself and could not imagine how it would feel to lose them. Drugs are a small bandaid over a gaping wound when dealing with severe grief. Are you seeing a counselor? If not consider it. I understand you are just looking for some relief from the pain (both physical from your cancer treatment and emotional from your loss) but in the long run numbing yourself with opiates will cause you even more pain. They will also become less helpful at treating your physical pain if you begin to abuse them. Once your tolerance builds you will have a difficult time getting relief from reasonable dosages when you actually need them.

Be cautious and reach out to someone you trust to talk about your situation. There's a great group of supportive people in the forums here on BL. Check out the Dark Side.

And keep asking questions before experimenting to keep yourself safe. Welcome.

C.W.E percocet will lead to disappointment and you will find your short pills every month.

Its such a short disappointing buzz followed by an extended time of feeling bitchy.

But when I find I have an extra 10 of the 5/325 tecs I crush them and wash them anyway. An Old opiate addiction never goes away, it just sits there and waits.

Basically what maggells said. They do make something called Roxicodone which is oxy without the acetaminophen, but if your daily total of APAP is less than 3000 mg then you don't really need it. As far as preventing overdose, it's hard for anyone other than yourself to know how much is too much. It all really depends on your tolerance. There's people here at BL who've posted that they regularly take 300 mg /day. That totally blows my mind but apparently they lived to tell the tale. If the dose you are taking now is making you very drowsy or you find that your breathing is labored then I most definitely wouldn't increase the dose.

I have had patients on 300mcg/hr of fentanyl using 90mg of immediate release oxy every 2-3 hours for breakthrough and completely alert and stone cold sober. I've also had patients take 5mg of oxy and tell me it turned their brain to mush and they slept for a full day. It's really very subjective.