L O V E +
    R E L A T I O N S H I P S

❤️ Welcome Guest! ❤️

Posting Guidelines Bluelight Rules
  • SLR Moderators: axe battler | xtcgrrrl | arrall

Confused on Long Distance Relationship

YIKEYS!

Greenlighter
I need some advice. I met a woman online in Colombia. I am in the US. We met last December and stayed together for a week in Florida. A few weeks after, during a videochat, she wanted to end the romantic relationship, as she was thinking it was going to be a “virtual relationship”. I am a PhD student and she is a single mother that teaches ESL (Spanish is her native language, but she has a degree in English). However, she called the next day and took it back. We talked almost every day (videochatted a lot, and some days just Whatsapp messages).

Then through a misunderstanding, she ended things again and blocked me on Whatsapp and Facebook. But a month later, she unblocked me and I noticed and messaged her. She said she missed me and we resumed our relationship. I am leaving to go see her in Colombia soon, but things are different. We do not videochat very often, and she takes much longer to respond to messages than she used to. She says she is very busy with her daughter, and I know her daughter is a handful…but we used to chat and I have talked to her daughter and used to read to her a bedtime story over an app to do so (she is 6 btw). But now we do not do these. She said we could resume me reading to her daughter but it has yet to happen. AND, I am still not unblocked on Facebook. We have been back together for 2 months, and like I said I am supposed to leave in a few days to see her in Colombia and meet her daughter.

My concern is her distance (not geographical). I have expressed to her twice I am not happy with our amount of communication, because as I see it, the first thing in a relationship is communication, and when that dies, the relationship dies. She agrees and she does better for a few days after when I mention it to her, but then it goes right back. I do not want to keep bringing it up. I want her to WANT to talk to me, not because I mention it.

I KNOW she is busy, but it seems people still find to talk to their SO, even when busy. Even if it is just a small message here and there.

I got an AirBnB for us while there, so as not to be imposing on her home and daughter. She told me her mother will watch her daughter while I am there, but now she says she may have to stay at her place some nights because her mother won’t do it every night. SO that changed recently. She said if her mother could not, I could stay at her place, but now seems reluctant.

I do not want to be paranoid and kill it. This will be our second meeting, but we have grown close from our talking and even talk about a future together. But this situation I feel has changed ( I notice the slightest change in people/relationships)

Am I being unreasonable? I mean, she says she is excited to see me in a few days, but I feel her distance is telling another story. It is no easy task to fly from New Hampshire to Bucaramanga, and she know this. But I hate the sudden changes in how much we may spend together (staying at her place). And the communication is a worry.
Would a person have someone they call their partner travel thousands of miles knowing they are backing off the relationship? If she is, fine, but I do not want to go all the way there only to be cooped up in an AirBnB. Especially not in Colombia.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

I think maybe a bit of paranoid killing of the relationship is appropriate. She doesn’t sound invested. You do. I think that this will only end in heartache.

Quite seriously. Can you refund the tickets?

These long distance relationships always end poorly from what I’ve seen. I think you’re right to feel off with her behavior. To be honest, you contacting her when she unblocked you was the wrong move.. At that point if you really want to see if she wants you, you let her re-initiate contact. She could be one of them gals that feeds off your affection to boost her self esteem but nothing more.

I also am curious if you can refund? I’d bring up all the backpedaling behavior and ask what’s up..

-GC

TL:Dr alllll of it, sorry OP, but from a skim it seems like it might be more trouble than it's worth.

Sorry, just an insight

VerbalTruist: I agree I am more invested but I take into account her child is her first priority and she is busy with work. I am going, and if it is not meant to be, I feel we will feel it in person. But we have agreed if we break up, we will be friends. She is a pretty awesome girl, tbh.

G_Chem: this is my second. My first was not a disaster, but the more I talked to her, the more I realized she was a not-nice person

axe battler: Sometimes I think the same thing. However, anything worth having is never easy. But after this trip, we will both know.

thank you to all for your insights.

Have a good visit. Watch your wallet. Wear protection ( a baby would be a great way to trap you if she isn't already pregnant from someone else ) . Don't shower her with too many gifts. Don't be offended if her kid ignores you ( kid has seen a few things already )

Hopefully after this visit she won't block and unfriend you again. That was a big red flag when she did that.

She's already wishy washy about staying at the B and B with you full time. She has had plenty of time to secure a sitter for the time you will be there. If she really " loved" you she would be behaving much differently. Just watch out for your own best interests. Foreign women have all kinds of ways to deceive and lure their subjects into a better life for themselves and their child.

@YIKEYS! There's some good advice granted this far... And I agree with your own point especially about most things worth having is worth a bit of effort!

Behavious seems suss, your right to be paranoid. Ask her straight up how she feels and tell her your concerns

This situation seems really off. I'm noticing a lot of red flags here, and you deserve better than that. Long-distance relationships rarely work, and from the sounds of it she is not very invested in this.
Also, alternating between spending tons of time talking to you and blocking you for a month almost sounds like love bombing.
I'm guessing that you've already gone to Colombia, so hopefully things are going better in person.