• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Concerns about oxycodone toxicity

Horizon88

Greenlighter
I have some concerns about some side effects I have been experiencing from oxycodone use.

I have a relatively high opiate tolerance, daily dose of ~90 mg oxycodone for 7 months. Until recently I have tolerated it fine, but I am concerned about some adverse effects that have been happening at night as I fall asleep.

As I drift to sleep at night I am noticing myself becoming short of breath. As I transition to sleep I notice I am startled awake gasping for air. I typically take my last 20 or 30 mg dose at 4 pm and wait 6 hours and go to sleep at 10 pm, which is when this is happening. I also feel chest pain as I am falling alseep.

Is it possible to experience fatal respiratory depression 6 hours after my last dose? Has anyone else experience this? For now I am going to try reducing my dose and take my last dose earlier in the day.

Have you been checked for copd or sleep apnea? Its more common the more u weigh butnlike like i have it mildly and im considered pretty thin it makes it hard to breathe at night like an elephant onn your chest

No I am generally healthy, 170 lbs 5'11".

Can opiates cause central sleep apnea?

If so, can it be life threatening. I'm worried one of these times my gasp reflex will not kick in and fatal respiratory depression will occur. So my basic question is...would that be possible well after the peak of the drug, 6 hours or so after final dose of day.

No I am generally healthy, 170 lbs 5'11".

Can opiates cause central sleep apnea?

If so, can it be life threatening. I'm worried one of these times my gasp reflex will not kick in and fatal respiratory depression will occur. So my basic question is...would that be possible well after the peak of the drug, 6 hours or so after final dose of day.

Dude, see your doctor and let him know. You probably need a sleep study to be sure what's going on. I've had a couple and was at one time it was determined I stopped breathing nearly 100 times during the night. The worst was for nearly 90 seconds. And yes, sleep apnea "can" be fatal. I'll be honest, the machines they have now are actually not too much of a pain in the butt. Personally, my biggest culprit has always been weight. Since I recently have lost over 70 lbs. I don't I currently have it too bad.

One other thing I just thought of, do you sleep with a partner and do they wake up or notice this about you? Because that was how mine was discovered. You aren't usually super aware of it yourself other than after waking up from 8 hours of sleep you feel like you just ran a marathon. It used to keep my wife awake worried I wouldn't start breathing again. It was enough of a wake up call for me to get checked out. Good Luck with everything!

Dude, see your doctor and let him know. You probably need a sleep study to be sure what's going on. I've had a couple and was at one time it was determined I stopped breathing nearly 100 times during the night. The worst was for nearly 90 seconds. And yes, sleep apnea "can" be fatal. I'll be honest, the machines they have now are actually not too much of a pain in the butt. Personally, my biggest culprit has always been weight. Since I recently have lost over 70 lbs. I don't I currently have it too bad.

One other thing I just thought of, do you sleep with a partner and do they wake up or notice this about you? Because that was how mine was discovered. You aren't usually super aware of it yourself other than after waking up from 8 hours of sleep you feel like you just ran a marathon. It used to keep my wife awake worried I wouldn't start breathing again. It was enough of a wake up call for me to get checked out. Good Luck with everything!

I typically do sleep with my girlfriend, but she never notices anything. I wake up pretty rested, and this only seems to effect my initial transition to sleep. Does the chest pain make sense?

Same shit . But i'm never gasping . I get high as a kite of 30mg . I have used for two years now . I consider myself lucky . Anyway my breathing slows down on oxys. Its just part of it . Take it easy man.

You don't have to be out of shape to have sleep apnea you could have things structurally wrong. I'd get a sleep study

I appreciate the feedback so far, I will mention a sleep study to my doctor.

The main question I was curious about is regarding toxicity relative to the peak of the drug. Is it ever unsafe to go to sleep 6+ hours after dosing? Can any kind of fatal respiratory depression occur well after the peak of the effects? I'm wondering if the oxycodone that accumulates throughout the day as a person doses can suppress breathing to a dangerous level when going to bed at night. Do people die from respiratory depression that occurs in this manner, rather than just an acute overdose situation. Assuming no other substances are in play.

Is it ever unsafe to go to sleep 6+ hours after dosing?
no, not unless it is exacerbating some other condition or you're mixing drugs.

unless you have something in your system that inhibits throwing up (like a benzo) or a huge tolerance (not 90mg a day), you will throw up much less than a fatal dose of oral oxycodone.

of course i'm not a doctor; i'm speaking only from experience as a relatively young and healthy individual who likes opiates.

if you're having trouble during the night, opiates probably are not helping. they do weird, weird things to sleep. including inducing hypnagogia.

Last edited:
I read an article a while back that addresses this issue. I'll try to find it. Basically what you are experiencing is normal. I actually had the same thing happen to me. It's some form of anxiety if I remember right. I know after reading that article I never had that problem again. It's funny, I've actually wondered the same exact thing you are asking about. I mentioned it to my pm doc and he told me not to worry about it.

I wanted to add that I am not suggesting you take a dose close to bedtime. I am mearly stating that what you feel is common but you still may want to keep your last dose 6 hours before bed.

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for the information, you've all been very helpful. The issue has gotten better as I've started taking my last dose even earlier. Yes if you happen to get you're hands on that article I would certainly give it a read.