• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc coming off lexapro

blackmarket91

Bluelighter
Curious if anyone here has came off lexapro and what their experience was. I was on for about 5 months. its around day 7, and i feel really shitty, not sure if its mental or not.

Hey @blackmarket91

I'd be happy to share my experience. I've been through the gamut of anti-depressants and the majority of them were SSRI's. I've done Fluoxetine (Prozac), Escitalopram (Lexapro) and Fluvoxamine (Luvox).

The SSRI's certainly do seem to produce a withdrawal syndrome, so what you're experiencing is not out of the ordinary and shot abate in a week or two at most given that you were only on the medication for 7 months. This isn't a "short course" or anything, but there are people who take these drugs for 10 years or more and try to come off.

The symptoms are generally stomach upset, headache, dizziness, hyperarousal, anxiety and possibly depression. In short, you're going to feel funky all over in a negative way. Don't worry though, it will subside. I always found the withdrawal symptoms to be very manageable, yet definitely annoying.

Do something that makes you comfortable. I nice cup of tea, perhaps some netflix with a nice warm blanket and a puppy if available. Get yourself in a good mindset and when you feel bad, focus on the fact that it's all temporary.

IF you have any other questions, feel free!

Curious if anyone here has came off lexapro and what their experience was. I was on for about 5 months. its around day 7, and i feel really shitty, not sure if its mental or not.
This is very common coming off antidepressants such as lexapro. As Keif said, it is only temporary and you will feel better soon.

May I just ask, did your doctor tell you to stop taking the lexapro? What is your plan if your symptoms return?

Hey @blackmarket91

I'd be happy to share my experience. I've been through the gamut of anti-depressants and the majority of them were SSRI's. I've done Fluoxetine (Prozac), Escitalopram (Lexapro) and Fluvoxamine (Luvox).

The SSRI's certainly do seem to produce a withdrawal syndrome, so what you're experiencing is not out of the ordinary and shot abate in a week or two at most given that you were only on the medication for 7 months. This isn't a "short course" or anything, but there are people who take these drugs for 10 years or more and try to come off.

The symptoms are generally stomach upset, headache, dizziness, hyperarousal, anxiety and possibly depression. In short, you're going to feel funky all over in a negative way. Don't worry though, it will subside. I always found the withdrawal symptoms to be very manageable, yet definitely annoying.

Do something that makes you comfortable. I nice cup of tea, perhaps some netflix with a nice warm blanket and a puppy if available. Get yourself in a good mindset and when you feel bad, focus on the fact that it's all temporary.

IF you have any other questions, feel free!
thanks man i appreciate the response its hard to train hard atm but i can manage everyday life another week wont be an issue

This is very common coming off antidepressants such as lexapro. As Keif said, it is only temporary and you will feel better soon.

May I just ask, did your doctor tell you to stop taking the lexapro? What is your plan if your symptoms return?
No he didnt actually. I only took it because i came off methadone a year in half ago, and started taking it to help me with anxiety and mental state, but i wana be completely drug free. I felt it was making me numb to everything though so i discontinued once my prescription ran out. I was on the 10 mg pills i think, and for the last month i just broke them in half and took them to somewhat taper so didnt just drop it completely.

If i feel i need it ill go back on it as i actually have a refill left. I really dont like taking meds. I had a very brutal experience coming off methadone in 2020. Now i dont like to put anything in me unless its completely necessary.

I was taking vortioxetine (atypical ssri) for 9 months. At the start i seriously wanted to kill myself. But i kept on taking it and now i decided to try how i feel without it. I realized that it really cured my deoression. And no wd symptoms but i have been taking 6 other ADs before and either they didn't work or had horrible side effects (mirtazapine-weight gain). I was also on escitalopram maximal dosage, but after discontinuation i was not depressed only for about a 1 month. I still have a pack of vortioxetine for extreme cases such as someone die etc. I recomend it to start vortioxetine with alprazolam for a first month.

I'm taking Vortioxetine, it's very effective. Better than previous AD's like Escitalopram, Mirtazapine and Moclobemide. All pooped out on me. I've been on Vortioxetine for a straight year now. No complaints here. It's still doing it's thing.