• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Coming off Anti-psychotic meds

soerenderfor

Greenlighter
Hey Bluelight.

I have been on diffrent anti-psycotic meds.
Abilify, ziprasidon, risperdon, olanzapin, clozapin. But every time i lowered the dose a little i was getting the worst 'withdraw' ever. Depending on the half-life. It was really bad on clozapin, lowered the dose by 25mg every other day with a docter. The 'withdraw' lastet for about a month. Now the docter says i shall quit 'ziprasidon' but my question is. Will the 'withdraw' be short on a cold turkey instead of lowering the dose and feel awefull for weeks?

And is there a drug a docter can prescribe so the 'withdraw' is to handle? Any good ideas? I am from i country where they hate to prescribe benzoes.

The have found out i am not paranoid skizofreni but a form of bipolar instead.

Do not quit taking antipsychotic medication cold turkey. The withdrawal will be longer and much worse. It can even make you acutely psychotic.

Taper off of the medication as recommended by your doctor, or even slower than what your doctor recommends. This is the best way to stop taking the medication because it causes the fewest withdrawal symptoms.

Taper your dose down slowly, and if you get withdrawals, go even slower.

Lots of people get withdrawal symptoms when stopping antipsychotics, and tapering is the best way to prevent withdrawals.

There are no official medications to help with the withdrawal symptoms. I recommend fresh air and exercise and plenty of sleep.

They cant quiet figuere out why i get so agressive withdrawl symptoms. Getting off anti-psycotic meds the symptoms are really extreme and long lasting. We have tried tapering down really slow. Do you know why i get so bad? It is only a problem on anti-psychotic meds, have tried benzo and opiate withdrawl but anti-psy meds really bad for looong time.. Same shit every time

I'm currently tapering off olanzapine. I was at 10mg then went to 7.5 then 5mg and now on 2.5. I've abused Lyrica during this time so I've been feeling good. I do have a little congestion with flem. But Idk if that's withdrawal or not. I'm taking some time off Lyrica starting tomorrow so we'll see how I feel. Lyrica is a wonderful drug. My tolerance is way too high which is why I'm taking some time off to get my tolerance lowered

I have been on 30mg of olanzapine the lowering of dose went fine until the last 10mg.. I took also a long time to recover from that. I get so strong 'withdrawl' from all anti-psy meds.

They should be slowly adding in whatever new meds you'll be taking as you taper which helps, are they not planning on any new prescriptions for the bipolar?

My doctor will have me off zeldox now, it is not working for me at all. I get withdrawl when my doctor lower the dose by 20mg at night and the day after i fell so shitty. I just came on 'Topiramat' on 25mg now but upping the dose by 25mg every 14 days. Any idea to the withdrawl part?

Last edited:
The topirmate or Topamax is a drug with a lot of uses one being anti seizure which should be helpful in withdrawals.

And i can chose to get on abilify instead of zeldox as a mood stabilaizor. Is it possible to switch over? Without so many problems?

Wow! Finding out that antipsychotics have a long withdrawal makes me hope I never have to go off my Risperidone! Egads man!