View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Coleus Curiosity and help

CrypticArc

Bluelighter
In my search for new and legal psychedelics to use, I've found something that heavily interested me: a plant that hardly a few truely know about from what I can gather. It's commonly kept as a house plant, and apparently Native Americans had used it in lieu of Salvia Divinorum; Coleus. From what I understand, only the red variety is psychoactive, and the more red, the better (although this seems a bit too myth-like to be true). I have found another person to try it with, but I'm currently working to find an accurate statistic for it: Which varieties work the best, dosages, categorization, trip reports, ect. and I was wondering if anyone wanted to help. Chances are, one of your neighbors or a local business is growing it outside. Everyone I've showed a picture to so far has said they recognize it, but I can't seem to find any around my neighborhood, so I was hoping someone may be able to help my friend and I in our mission. If anyone has previously tried it, how did they like it? Would you do it again? Considering it is not a controlled substance by the United States or anywhere else as far as I know, I wouldn't be surprised if a few bluelighters have had an experience or two with it, but I've never met someone who can offhand tell me anything about it. From here on out, this thread should be a discussion on the subject of Coleus use and everything that follows.

To date I have sampled at least two varieties of coleus, yet did not detect any hint of psychoactivity whatsoever, apart from that gained by robbing myself of oxygen momentarily.

I have two more coleus varieties that I've been growing under my room lamp (CFL) for some time. They're like little miracles (<3), as they weren't expected to grow very well under the conditions they are in... yet there they are! And since that is the case, I have taken up a sort of reverence concerning them, and don't want to sample their leaves flippantly.

I would like to grow actual Salvia Divinorum again. The two times I successfully perpetuated two plants, they both died because they went to people who let unfortunate accidents occur (one was taken down by a cat, who knows why!).

Edit: I forgot to mention that one of my plants' leaves become very red whenever they grow close to the bulb. Not that color has anything to do with it...

Last edited:
I have recently read that it takes upwards of 60 leave chewing quids to produce anything notable... If you do end up getting anything, I'd love to know what the best variety is.
I do wish to note that, however, I have also discovered that it may be a high Thujone content such as with White Sage (Salvia Apiana) smoking. In that case, it would make a lot of sense for the dosage to be so damn high.

Go to a place that sells plants, even a wal-mart should have a coleus plant. Also this site will be helpful to read. erowid.org/plants/coleus/coleus.shtml No I have never used the leaves of a Coleus plant to get high but I just have put them in my garden in the summer.

I have recently read that it takes upwards of 60 leave chewing quids to produce anything notable...

One of my first attempts involved chewing about 35 fresh leaves for 30 minutes. I was watching very closely for any sort of head change, but there was nothing.

If you do end up getting anything, I'd love to know what the best variety is.

I'll remember you and this thread if/when I do make another attempt.

I do wish to note that, however, I have also discovered that it may be a high Thujone content such as with White Sage (Salvia Apiana) smoking. In that case, it would make a lot of sense for the dosage to be so damn high.

A vendor once sent me a sample of wormwood extract along with an order for something else. I smoked and smoked that stuff, but got nothing from it. Makes me think the whole "thujone gets you high" thing is a myth :(

Go to a place that sells plants, even a wal-mart should have a coleus plant. Also this site will be helpful to read. erowid.org/plants/coleus/coleus.shtml No I have never used the leaves of a Coleus plant to get high but I just have put them in my garden in the summer.

If you're looking for a salvia-like high, I'd recommend not wasting your money on coleus. Just buy a salvia clone and take good care of it. If you live in a poor climate for growing salvia, just keep it in a warm house, put a plastic tent around it and spray some water in there every once in awhile. Worked for me :)

Of course, if salvia is illegal to grow or possess where you live, you can keep coleus plants as a cover, and just pass the salvia d. off as another coleus %)

I've never taken Coleus; but when I go to gardening centers in the spring and summer I see them for sale, and I wonder if people know you can get high from them? I'm sure a guy I worked for who was big into research chems as well as Ayahuasca, Datura, and even Salvia has taken it; but I haven't talked to him about drugs for a long time.

i tried quidding it several times. didn't achieve effects. i read on erowid a few reports of psychoactivity though. i also hear that you can concentrate it into an extract. i'd go with an extract.

I too have tried it to no avail. I don't think there's much truth to the stories of getting high on it..