• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Harm Reduction Cold turkey

Gary White

Bluelighter
How many of you have gone cold turkey?
My best friend is currently rehabbing from alcohol and as a token of solidarity I am abstaining from everything. For me it was cannabis, alcohol and nitrous. I was smoking every day, drinking a couple times a week and burning through 600 nitrous carts every 3-4 weeks.
I am happy to say both of us are doing OK but I think we would both like a hit of something. Just curious how it went for the others.

I went through cold turkey benzo withdrawals which resulted in the grim reaper knocking on my door after I had collapsed and became hypoxic.

I've also had recent and old problems with alcoholism and today is my 21th day without a drop! It is worth noting I was not physically dependent when I stopped. If I was, I would have had to go to the hospital as I am currently tapering off benzos and that is an extremely dangerous combination. I got through the first week without booze easily due to generous servings of Pregabalin and Zopiclone. (Not prescribed) Almost zero cravings. I'm now on RXed Pregabalin but the dose is much smaller than those initial 7 days. I may or may not buy extras after I ask my psychiatrist to take me off benzos altogether

I went through cold turkey benzo withdrawals which resulted in the grim reaper knocking on my door after I had collapsed and became hypoxic.

I've also had recent and old problems with alcoholism and today is my 21th day without a drop! It is worth noting I was not physically dependent when I stopped. If I was, I would have had to go to the hospital as I am currently tapering off benzos and that is an extremely dangerous combination. I got through the first week without booze easily due to generous servings of Pregabalin and Zopiclone. (Not prescribed) Almost zero cravings. I'm now on RXed Pregabalin but the dose is much smaller than those initial 7 days. I may or may not buy extras after I ask my psychiatrist to take me off benzos altogether.
Mate if ya only been on the pregabs for a wk, take a wk off em. Yes olerance rises rapiidly to em but also drops just as quick so ya very may well get what ur used to now in terms of effect. Although it would help if u said how much pregabs ya been taking each day & what mg/day the docs put ya om
No experience with nitrous so can't ;help there, sorry

This last time gettin off smack I used subs tramadol and kratom so not really a cold turkey but and using poppy pod tea currently and it seems to be holding off cravings pretty good, I just got back to Vegas yesterday and didn’t buy anything so far so I think i will continue to use the pods as a kind of maintenance until I’m ready to stop them

So 1400mg altogether the first 4 days & 900 for the rest? Yeah u need a tolerance break alright, like I say tolerance drops fast but not knowing the strength of the docs ones, it's impossible to say how many ya would need after say a wks break but a wks break frm pregabs makes a big difference. Just be careful with high doses as have heard can cause seizures

If I was taking the easy way out I would have hid my nitrous rig but it is still sitting on my work bench, unused. That may be the one I miss most so I need to prove to myself I can resist temptation. So far so good but I do think the two cases of carts on the floor is calling my name sometime. I am staying the course until my friend is over her problems. She is 30 days sober tomorrow.