• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Cold Turkey(ed) off fentanyl, need opinions please!

SmokeUpJohnny

Greenlighter
At around 2 weeks before June 28th, I quit fentanyl. I had previously quit also cold Turkey two years ago, until a family members passing, and I just needed to mask the pain.

so, I was addicted to around a g a day, (if it wasn’t for dremels and opana, I don’t think I’d be here, but anyway).

so I just wanted to quit, so I just sat in my apt for two weeks pretty much, didn’t have any energy for anything, was taking bayer asprin (to thin my blood from not moving, bump a PE). And I was taking Imodium for diahrrea.

Here is my question: my heart rate during withdrawals was sky high, like I could hold my breath and see my whole torso beating. So I knew my immune system was down, and then, during the height of my withdrawal, I got COVID for the first time. So I went to the hospital and they didn’t find anything in my blood, nothing at all, so I told myself there wasn’t any going back, problem is: they spotted the tachycardia right away. 2 chest xrays, dye ct scan, 2 ultrasounds by two different doctors (of my heart because the first doc forgot to save it (that shit is painful by the way), so everything came back super positive and they let me go around 3:30 am… they just told me the tachycardia was from COVID, but we all know it isn’t. But I couldnt tell them otherwise.

so, last week my resting heart rate was around 135 (normally it’s 60 plus or minus), I could walk to the kitchen, like 15 feet away and it would spike to 150-160. So I scheduled a cardiologist appnt (which isn’t until next month), and they told me to go to an internal medicine doc, so I did, they did an EKG at the office and it also came back negative (forgot to mention they did one at the hospital too, perfect), they want me to wear a heart monitor for 3 days, and send it back, but for some reason I still haven’t received it… so the doctor put me on the minimal beta blocker 25 mg XL of Toprol. It definitely helps, my heart rate is around the same, but I feel like I am not going to have a heart attack at any minute. ive been on it since last Tuesday. Question is, has anyone cold turkeyed off of fentanyl without any help and experience tachycardia like me? I’m in my 30s btw if that helps. How long could/can it last for?

thanks for reading/responding…

Happened to me aswell, well something similar. I was wding, had a 10day stay at the hospital and when they did an EKG....the dr. Told me I had problems with my heart, that it was skipping beats or some shit. He told me to stay but I knew it was from wds so I got the fuck out of there.

Happened to me aswell, well something similar. I was wding, had a 10day stay at the hospital and when they did an EKG....the dr. Told me I had problems with my heart, that it was skipping beats or some shit. He told me to stay but I knew it was from wds so I got the fuck out of there.
Thanks for responding. I was doing some heavy fent. All my heart stuff came back normal except for the high heart rate. Cardiac enzymes and all. Can I ask how long did yours lasted for?

Thanks for responding. I was doing some heavy fent. All my heart stuff came back normal except for the high heart rate. Cardiac enzymes and all. Can I ask how long did yours lasted for?
Man, tbh I've experienced stuff like that even up to 3 weeks after quitting. It depends a lot on your tolerance,frequency of use,etc. Fent is very potent stuff so no wonder it's showing those kind of problems but I'd really wouldn't worry about it. Unless you've been abusing stimulant drugs, I see no reason why you should bother about it. Cheers man

At around 2 weeks before June 28th, I quit fentanyl. I had previously quit also cold Turkey two years ago, until a family members passing, and I just needed to mask the pain.

so, I was addicted to around a g a day, (if it wasn’t for dremels and opana, I don’t think I’d be here, but anyway).

so I just wanted to quit, so I just sat in my apt for two weeks pretty much, didn’t have any energy for anything, was taking bayer asprin (to thin my blood from not moving, bump a PE). And I was taking Imodium for diahrrea.

Here is my question: my heart rate during withdrawals was sky high, like I could hold my breath and see my whole torso beating. So I knew my immune system was down, and then, during the height of my withdrawal, I got COVID for the first time. So I went to the hospital and they didn’t find anything in my blood, nothing at all, so I told myself there wasn’t any going back, problem is: they spotted the tachycardia right away. 2 chest xrays, dye ct scan, 2 ultrasounds by two different doctors (of my heart because the first doc forgot to save it (that shit is painful by the way), so everything came back super positive and they let me go around 3:30 am… they just told me the tachycardia was from COVID, but we all know it isn’t. But I couldnt tell them otherwise.

so, last week my resting heart rate was around 135 (normally it’s 60 plus or minus), I could walk to the kitchen, like 15 feet away and it would spike to 150-160. So I scheduled a cardiologist appnt (which isn’t until next month), and they told me to go to an internal medicine doc, so I did, they did an EKG at the office and it also came back negative (forgot to mention they did one at the hospital too, perfect), they want me to wear a heart monitor for 3 days, and send it back, but for some reason I still haven’t received it… so the doctor put me on the minimal beta blocker 25 mg XL of Toprol. It definitely helps, my heart rate is around the same, but I feel like I am not going to have a heart attack at any minute. ive been on it since last Tuesday. Question is, has anyone cold turkeyed off of fentanyl without any help and experience tachycardia like me? I’m in my 30s btw if that helps. How long could/can it last for?

thanks for reading/responding…

I had tachycardia for some time when I quit my very substantial poppy pod/morphine habit recently. Took a few weeks to normalize again. It is completely normal as opiate withdrawal results in way too much adrenaline and alpha 1 (probably also beta adrenoceptor) receptor activation. Stay on the beta blocker for a few weeks and then taper it down and see what your heart does then?

It’s fine. I still have a cardiologist appointment that I scheduled over a month ago, just want to be super positive everything will be ok. Without the beta blocker, I dunno how I’d go about doing daily activities. Thanks for all the help, after I see the cardiologist ill post back and tell y’all what he/she said just in case someone else is having or will have this problem. Thanks again!

Just wanted to give a quick update, went to a reknowned cardiologist, he said the medicine the other cardiologist gave me was “ancient,” it’s nadolol I think, 20 mg, but I told him it did the trick, so next Thursday, I can start tapering down from the beta blocker and hopefully this will all be done. Just wanted to share the info if anyone will ever be in my boat. Thanks for all yalls help!

so --- were you perhaps doing fentanyl material contaminated with xylazine?? if so - you would be withdrawing from alpha agonists as well, which would explain the tachy/super high heart rate. just a thought.

so --- were you perhaps doing fentanyl material contaminated with xylazine?? if so - you would be withdrawing from alpha agonists as well, which would explain the tachy/super high heart rate. just a thought.
I honestly couldn’t tell you what was in it. It was already “made” when I would get it. I never shot anything before, only via the nose.

Congratulations on quitting fentanyl.
Thanks, it was really rough this time. Basically was in my apartment for almost 2 weeks and then got covid on top of it (which, in itself was a “blessing,” cause it masked what was really going on with me so others just thought I was having covid symptoms ie. family, friends, etc). I will say that my libido is through the roof now lol. Thanks again. If anyone out there is similar to me, I obtained xanax on top of my current script of 90 a month (only thing that helps me sleep), and that personally helped me tremendously. I’m not recommending doing it that way, but I don’t have enough money to get sent off somewhere or go to a nice place around. Im glad it’s over with. I had quit once before, but a family member got killed in a car wreck and I decided to use cause I actually had squirreled away some and boom, addicted for another year. So, that won’t be happening again.
I used to ride around with my fellow friends who were also addicted. We would see someone mowing their grass and be like, man, I’d love to be that guy, mowing your grass, not addicted to anything. Just a normal person living life. At one point in my life I honestly thought that would never happen. I can’t speak for everyone, I do understand that a lot of people will have to take something for life, but it’s better than playing Russian roulette. Just saying, the impossible may just be possible if you are wanting to get off and have the normal life again.
* oh yea, I did have an echo done, all was normal, chambers, valves, etc. just wanted to throw that in there.

Thanks, it was really rough this time. Basically was in my apartment for almost 2 weeks and then got covid on top of it (which, in itself was a “blessing,” cause it masked what was really going on with me so others just thought I was having covid symptoms ie. family, friends, etc). I will say that my libido is through the roof now lol. Thanks again. If anyone out there is similar to me, I obtained xanax on top of my current script of 90 a month (only thing that helps me sleep), and that personally helped me tremendously. I’m not recommending doing it that way, but I don’t have enough money to get sent off somewhere or go to a nice place around. Im glad it’s over with. I had quit once before, but a family member got killed in a car wreck and I decided to use cause I actually had squirreled away some and boom, addicted for another year. So, that won’t be happening again.
I used to ride around with my fellow friends who were also addicted. We would see someone mowing their grass and be like, man, I’d love to be that guy, mowing your grass, not addicted to anything. Just a normal person living life. At one point in my life I honestly thought that would never happen. I can’t speak for everyone, I do understand that a lot of people will have to take something for life, but it’s better than playing Russian roulette. Just saying, the impossible may just be possible if you are wanting to get off and have the normal life again.
* oh yea, I did have an echo done, all was normal, chambers, valves, etc. just wanted to throw that in there.
How long have you been off of opiates now? Are you still experiencing it?

if it's still ocurring - it could be residual heart trouble from the COVID, OR you might have been getting xylazine contaminated material and experiencing a2 ag wds. clonidine would help if that was the case.