• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Coffee as effective as pill popping: study

poledriver

Bluelighter
Coffee as effective as pill popping: study

SOME commonly used performance enhancing drugs may be no more effective than a cup of coffee, according to a new study.

Victoria University researchers Simon Outram and Bob Stewart examined existing research on the risks and benefits of stimulants being used by both sportsmen and people who wanted to boost their mental capabilities.

They found caffeine appeared to be as effective if not more effective than other drugs such as Ritalin, which is increasingly associated with students who "pop pills" to aid study.

Dr Outram said there was some overlap between substances being used for sporting performance enhancement and cognitive performance enhancement and the findings, published in journal Sport in Society, were useful when considering the regulation of these substances.

The study took in methylphenidate, marketed as attention deficit disorder treatment Ritalin, amphetamines, such as Adderall which is mixed-amphetamine stimulant, ephedrine, commonly found in Chinese remedies prescribed to alleviate asthma, and caffeine.

"There's no strong evidence to suggest that these three substances are going to help you over and above what you might get from caffeine," Dr Outram told AAP.

"This would be particularly the case if you're already training so that your body is at peak ability or your mind is at peak ability."

He emphasised the findings were based only on existing evidence, but said humans had a long association with stimulants.

"Teas and coffees and to a lesser extent amphetamines have been around a long time," he said.

"The science doesn't support a view which would suggest we've had a major breakthrough in physical or cognitive enhancement."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/ne...ll-popping-study/story-e6freuz0-1226570957678

~600 mg of caffeine boosts my stamina by like 25%. I'm gonna test if it boosts my speed in a mid-distance run. But even before starting the stopwatch, I can say that caffeine before a run makes me want to haul ass all the time and push my endurance limits. It's a question of enjoyment and of motivation, and it only seems to kick in after like five minutes of running. I suppose this is an effect that only endurance athletes experience?

Running on caffeine is better than running on speed.

Caffeine makes more more awake, but also makes my brain more awake and my thoughts jump around more so it's harder to pay attention. Ritalin allows me to focus on one thing a lot easier.

Caffeine does absolutely nothing to me, it usually makes me sleepy after I drink an energy drink. After taking 7 caffeine tablets I then had a good mid-day snooze a wee while after. I havent tried ritalin, but I imagine it would have a greater effect.

No comparison between amphetamine and caffeine. I've been up since 9a.m. Sunday Morning. It's now 7:00 A.M. Tuesday. I spent Sunday day studying Quantum Field Theory. Sunday night doing risky, stressful and physically demanding work, Monday day going to lectures, Monday evening going to meet people for a possible swinging type thing, Monday night sitting in an uncomfortable place geeking out. I'm still not at all tired or mentally fatigued and actually rather eager for another full day.

Caffeine does not do that, amp does.

Last edited:
No comparison between amphetamine and caffeine. I've been up since 9a.m. Sunday Morning. It's now 7:00 A.M. Tuesday. I spent Sunday day studying Quantum Field Theory. Sunday night doing risky, stressful and physically demanding work, Monday day going to lectures, Monday evening going to meet people for a possible swinging type thing, Sunday sitting in an uncomfortable place geeking out. I'm still not at all tired or mentally fatigued and actually rather eager for another full day.

Caffeine does not do that, amp does.

Get some weed for the crash.

Nah caffeine isn't any near as strong as amp, it helps move my bowels in the morning though. =D

Nah caffeine isn't any near as strong as amp, it helps move my bowels in the morning though. =D

good ol coffee shits. neither caffeine or amp really helps my concentration tbh. nothing is better than sober+ well rested

Get some weed for the crash.

Fuck no. The crash from amphetamine is more euphoric than the high from weed IMO.

Plus, seroquel and muscle relaxants is way more awesome for that, just like go eat, stretch, pop back/neck etc. Sleep. Repeat.

hrm

i like goodcup of strong coffee dont get me wrong but amps do a little more for me n the stimulant department, productivity n focus n what not

Coffee makes me twitchy and tired, so I never drink it.