• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Opioids Codeine withdrawal from Chronic pain - HELP!

SkaleySteve

Greenlighter
Hi, new here..

I have been taking codeine daily for two years, prescribed by doctors to help with a lifelong muscoskeletal issue, as well as a long term chronic urinary tract infection. Without them, I was in agony. Addiction is no stranger to me, having been to rehab previous to the prescriptions starting for ketamine - with a good stint of clean time afterwards

As with any story of opiod use, I kept to the doctors order, but within the past few months, to reach even ANY kind of pain relief/codeine effect, I'm having to take one daily dose of 240mg (supposed to be spread out in 4 parts through the day) in one go.. And the effects are minimal, thus I'm doing this 2-4 times a day, and my script runs out early resorting to seeking online supplement of codeine. I am fully away this is not sustainable, harmful, dangerous, and causing my body to become even more dependant due to higher regular doses.

I have tried withdrawing three times, and left with horrible symptoms akin to those on Oxy withdrawal. It is HELL - agitation, ratty, diarrhea, aggression, thinking delusionally, blaming others for everything(see through a paranoid set of goggles), no inspiration, motivation, enthusiasm, irritatability and broken sleep (already bad due to bladder awaking me ever two hours), waking up in soaking sheets regularly throughout the night, depressed, sometimes suicidal (albeit I wouldn't never do this).

I need opinions. I don't want to hook on to another medication but I know there are meds that can help with the withdrawals of this. My doctor has just said to go cold turkey to which I said I've tried, failed, and feel like death.

What can I do? What do I tell my doctor to really believe the hell I'm going through and help me through this.

The pain is one thing but I'm causing a different problem which is out of control.

Thanks for all your help x

You are going to have to find something to manage The chronic pain situation.

I also live with chronic pain and it is no joke.

There are much worse medications and treatments for chronic pain other than opiates.
As I have found out. The hard way.

You are going to have to make a decision.
Either move to something stronger.
(Time released morphine has helped me and it lasts a full 12 hours.)

OR.... You will have to taper the codeine down slowly.
Give your body time to adjust in between cuts.
You can use loperamide, sleep medication, benzodiazepines (which has a worse withdrawal than opiates) , gabapentin (which also has a WAY worse withdrawal than opiates and benzo’s put together) you see what I am saying?
You can use other things as comfort medication to get through the opiate withdrawal but then you run The risk of having to come off those medications.

Kratom may be a good option for you. Alot of people are using it for both pain and for coming off other opiates.

You are going to have to research things and make your own decision on this.
Can you live with the pain without pain management?
Are you able to eat, sleep, function with the pain level you are living with?

I wish you the best of luck.
This is a tough problem to have.
You are not alone.
God bless.
❤️

I've been doing the research, but hoping to get some advice from those here who have been there / done it. I can't live with the pain but I cant take codeine to relieve the pain either if I'm having to take more than my limited amount, which inevitably leaves me cold turkey - it's dangerous.

My friend has mentioned buprenorphine, and I may try ask the doctors advice tomorrow. I'm the uk and things work a bit differently than the US.

Thanks for your empathy, yes chronic pain is real!

Other advice is welcomed please x