• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

codeine questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abject

Bluelighter
I recently came across some information and I was wondering if you guys could verify/debunk it?

1. Adding sodium hydroxide/hydrochloric acid to codeine phosphate results in freebase codeine
2. Adding DCM/hexane/toluene results in non-polar codeine freebase
3. Adding potassium permanganate to decanted solvent results in hydromorphone (would this not yield hydrocodone?)

I came across a study that confirmed codeine freebase dissolves into toluene, though they did something completely different to this.
The purity numbers on their different attempts at getting codeinone from codeine ranged from 95.5% being the highest and 71% (with a 50% yeild) the lowest..
I was under the impression the 7-8 double-bond meant conversions yeilded low numbers, but they didn't in this study (when done right)
This is a very different process, but it's still good to see that data.

Someone else mentioned that a HCI solution with 5% borax mixed with dihydrocodeine would yeild dihydromorphine over the peroid of a day.
This is another good resource, but again, I'm just wanting clarification due to my lack of chem knowledge

Last edited:
we don't allow synthesis questions

you need to do a lot more than use potassium permanganate or borax anyway, neither of those will make anything worthwhile. and you'll probably want to do column chromatography as a purification method anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.