• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Codeine linctus syrup possible side effects/health damages?

zulunation1

Greenlighter
hi all,

long time lurker of this forum but first time starting a thread,

So my question is can codeine linctus cause potential health damages?

I got this care brand codeine linctus 15ml/5mg codieine off an online pharmacy and decided it was a good idea to drink half a bottle of this stuff the other night (about 120ml, which equals to about 350 mg of codeine i guess)

Ive only did codeine once before and it was a much smaller quantity, but the half a bottle this time got me really fucked up

I drank the codeine at 6 pm the other night and it was enjoyable at first, nice mild europha and just feeling good in general, but it went completely downhill after i went to lay.

I started to feel pukey and dizzy and i felt like my heart was racing like a horse.

I couldnt sleep the entire night and puked out some water and the chocolate bar i eaten for dinner. I managed to get a couple hours of sleep in the morning and when i woke up i felt better.

However I got this dizziness in my head that wont go away, and this general feeling of unwell. I got a bit worried so phoned 111 and the nurse told me that if i dont go to the hospital i could die.

what the nurse told me got me real scared so i rushed to the A&E and after sitting in the waiting room for 6 hours the doctor told me that its been pass 24 hours and 'i didnt do enough harm to myself for them to do anything about it'

it's been more than 3 days now since i drank the codeine and im still feeling dizzy af. my head feels heavy all the time and staying in bed does not help.

I drank a few glass of vodka last night and woke up with a more heavy head early in the morning and puked, which is strange because I can handle my liquor quite well and i usually drink way more than that.

Now im just generally concerned about what have i done to feel this bad. its messing up my sleeping patterns and i cant concentrate to do shit because of the dizziness.

Can anybody tell me if this is related to the codeine linctus? can the codeine stay in your system for that long? is it going to cause any health damages?

Sorry for the long post, any answers appreciated, thanks!

I'm going to move this to Basic Drug Discussion because it's a question about drug's effects not about culture surrounding drug use.

To answer your question, no, codeine can't stay in the system for that long. It usually takes about 24 hours for the codeine and morphine to drop to insignificant levels. You probably overdosed a little; codeine has a pretty strong histamine reaction too, so that also likely played a role. Why the nurse told you that you could die, that I don't understand, because you had already come down by that point, so you were in no danger.

Your best course of action is to just abstain from drugs/alcohol for a week and see how you feel. You should start to feel better soon.

Does the syrup contain only codeine or are there any other ingredients? Codeine is pretty harmless all in all - I use 800-1000 mg every day...

You probably have a head cold or something similar that should resolve. There is no way that dose is going to have a lingering effect in the way you described.