• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Codeine doses

MikeMercury

Bluelighter
Im trying to use codeine in helping with after effects of quitting Poppy pods. I'm using cold extraction
which the process is working okay although I know I will be losing certain amounts but taking codeine water seems far better than swallowing whole tablets.
The thing is they hardly have any effect. I started with 8 x 8/500 codeine paracetamol then went gradually to 15 ...so in theory that's about 120mg of codeine.

I know my query is like "how long is a piece of string " and that everyone is different with tolerance etc
but what type of a dose is 120mg of codeine ? Assuming it's a normal everyday person with no tolerance and no other substance used,

Moreso than tolerance, codeine's effect is predetermined by genetics and how well you metabolize it. Typically only 5-10% is metabolized into morphine, codeine itself is not psychoactive. 120mg isn't all that much and is equivalent to about 6-12mg of morphine. Personally, I need at least 200mg to achieve any meaningful effect.

Consider juicing some fresh grapefruit and drinking the juice (daily), this can help potentiate codeine by causing more of it to metabolize into active morphine.

This is great info....many thanks . My GPs wouldn't have the time to tell me this ...let alone have any knowledge of it. I very much appreciate this forum and the people who give their advice.

Well @Snafu in the Void beat me to the punch.

Codeine is also known as 3-MethylMorphine. The process of Codeine being "turned into" Morphine is known as demethylation in this situation. Different people are going to be able to more efficiently demethylate the Codeine, ultimately leading to a more potent effect. I will just state the obvious here, most of our users here on Bluelight are gonna be genetically "Caucasian", but of course we are global and we see essentially all races represented.

The biggest differences between the different metabolizers seems to be based on their genetics, for instance, Arabs are often said to be more-rapid in their metabolism of Codeine than Caucasians.

At any rate, you have a good benchmark at the commonly stated Codeine -> Morphine is a 10/1 ratio. With that being said, just like Snafu indicated, you're likely getting about 12mg Morphine once all is said and done. This is nothing crazy. Heroin is essentially twice as potent as Morphine and it's not uncommon for folks to use 2,000g-3,000mg per day, meaning that could be as much as 6,000mg Morphine per day equivalent. I've had a habit this big and I survived the withdrawal process, as have many others, so you can too.

Wow...thats top rate information. Now I see clearly where I am with doses and need not have worried so much . I'm realising that actually, unless I were to extract and take the equivalent of 30 odd tablets or a full pack here , it's not worth the time and effort
and I'm certainly not going to go as far as that.
i get Gabapentin tomorrow and am hoping that will stop the torment torture nights which always come as I start to fall asleep mainly with severe RLS . If they do work that means I won't use any pod or codeine at all.
Thanks so much for your time and information.

@MikeMercury you flatter me :)

I'm so glad we could set your mind at ease. That is what we're all about here.

Gabapentin (Neurontin) and the other Gabapentinoids are like a silver bullet for RLS. If you read through my posts, you'll know that Gabapentin is without a doubt, the top-rated "comfort medication" for dealing with Opioid withdrawal. There seems to be a small portion of the population, maybe ~10% of people who don't get relief from Gabapentin in this way, but that is not the norm.

Restless Legs Syndrome/Akathisia is my most dreaded symptom. I can puke my stomach lining up, shiver, sweat without a problem. The feeling of absolute inner restlessness that comes with Opioid withdrawal, I feel could break the spirit of any human being. In the medical literature, you'll often see this symptom written as "restlessness", which absolutely does not do it justice.

I'm assuming you'll be getting 300mg Gabapentin capsules, as this is pretty much the standard. This is most commonly written for thrice-daily dosing. For you, with your relatively mild tolerance, this should be plenty to relieve you of your symptoms and allow you to sleep.

Gabapentin is kind of an odd duck. It has some complicated pharmacokinetics that I could write a novel about,.

The key takeaways:

Take Gabapentin after consuming food, preferably something high in fat. The potency of Gabapentin can be doubled when taken with food in the stomach as opposed to on an empty stomach.

A lot of folks don't have an appetite when they're withdrawing. If this is you, my method has always been to take a big spoon of peanut butter, wash it down with some whole milk and swallow your capsule.

Only a limited amount of Gabapentin can be absorbed at any time. If for some reason a single capsule is not working for you, do not double the dosage. Instead, you wait 45 minutes, then take another capsule. Taking higher individual doses will often just lead to wasted Gabapentin.

let us know if you need anything else bro.

As other users mentioned above, I also agree that kratom would probably be a better alternative, especially for the purposes of quitting poppy tea. It is also quite easy to dose so you can easily measure 1 gram or as much as 8 grams and have whatever amount you like.

Once again, thanx so much. I Knew I would have been asking advice about Gabapentin so now I already know and it's good and clear.
i wish I had gotten the help from my GPs that I've found in this excellent forum.
it should be paid for by our National Health system ...At least it would be money well spent for a change and a boon to people seeking help.
regards to all particulaly Keif.

Im trying to use codeine in helping with after effects of quitting Poppy pods. I'm using cold extraction
which the process is working okay although I know I will be losing certain amounts but taking codeine water seems far better than swallowing whole tablets.
The thing is they hardly have any effect. I started with 8 x 8/500 codeine paracetamol then went gradually to 15 ...so in theory that's about 120mg of codeine.

I know my query is like "how long is a piece of string " and that everyone is different with tolerance etc
but what type of a dose is 120mg of codeine ? Assuming it's a normal everyday person with no tolerance and no other substance used,
Using codeine to help withdraw from poppy pod anything is non sensical. Iy is like trying to douse a fire with petrol. Pods contain miniscule amounts of akaloids. Whatever sap was present when harvested in unscored pods degrades substantially over the very long time it takes from harvest until you receive the pods. Even if you grow them, if you do not harvest the sap before harvest the pod, you are not going to consume huge smounts of target alkaloids.

Taking a refined alkaloid like codeine is upping the ante in your consumption.

On CWE...If you do it properly you will net almost all codeine and very minimal paracetemol. That means you have to do repeated extractions of your tablets (etc) with filtration between each wash. You can easily filter with coffee filters if you go low tech.

CWE is based on solubility indexes. Cold water absorbs codeine astronomically well whereas it does not absorb almost any paracetemol. By repeated washing you are getting almost perfect extraction.

Gabapemtin breeds heavy tolerance quite rapidly and if you think pod addiction is difficult, Gabapemtin could push you to the edge. If you live in a nation where it is a controlled substance your obtaining it might lead to bigger problems.

This has made me sit up. Worrying as it is! I am very grateful to you for passing this info on. I intended to use as little Gabatemtin as possible but now I see I need to only use it when the RLS is intolerable and not more than 2-3 nights in a row with several days not using it at all. I'm hoping it will only take 2-3 weeks to see me thru.
I will start with 100mg only , maybe less , I can split the tablet or divide the powder whichever. It won't be accurate but near enough for purpose. I have read of addiction to this and am already very wary of it. I wish I didn't have to use it but RLS is going to wreck totally quitting Poppy pods.
Regarding CWE , I simply used coffee filters and got crystal clear codeine water the first time . But seeing as how I would need a substantial amount to have any effect I've given up on this. I also realised I was replacing bad with a different bad. Right now the only thing that will stop severe RLS is the smallest
amount of poppy tea possible and Ibuprofen tablets. If I can defeat RLS I wont need anything and can be free.
Again , many thanx for your time and information.

It's closer to a minimum recreational dose. I'd use 20- 30 tablets 40 max.

Some people plug codeine water with a 10ml oral syringe.

Thanks for info. I would like to keep some codeine water for emergencies etc
once you have CWE it , how long can it be kept say in a small bottle labeled and put in the fridge ? The other night due to really bad RLS, I used a total of 25 tablets CWE for relief and I hardly felt any effect from them. I'm incredibly surprised by this as I've never been a heavy user only a long term user of Poppy pods. I'm still waiting for the Gabapentin which i should have anytime soon. In the meantime I have to sometimes resort to the "as minimum as possible" pods on some nights to get desperately needed sleep. I hope I'm not trashing all my end tapering .