• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Codeine Constipation.

fermonos

Bluelighter
What's the best way to counter constipation from Codeine?

Tablets, food, drinks, anything? Would prefer tablets, just don't know any which will work really good.

Perhaps an osmotic laxative. Try just drinking plenty of water. Or not taking as much codeine.

Try polyethylene glycol or glycerol like bella said osmotic laxatives they try excert pressure on the poop asthe molecules difusse into it breaking it up giving you diaherea

^I agree. Polyethylene Glycol 3350 is the active ingredient in the product Miralax. I've tried several laxatives over the years including pills, liquids and suppositories. I've found that the most comfortable and effective means was the Miralax. I'm not sure what the brand will be over in the UK, but I assume Boots will have something similar. So, that's the first choice, but there are other effective methods as well.

My second choice is almost as effective as Miralax and maybe just as good, but I have less experience with it: Magnesium Citrate. This is also a drink. Drinks have an advantage over pills for reasons that you can probably imagine; they reach the problem area faster and more easily. Magnesium Citrate worked fine for me, I was cleared out by the following day, but went that day as well.

I really believe that one of those two will work for you. I will bet money on it, but if not, there are other options. Senna is an all-natural laxative that works pretty well. The next step would be something called Bisacodyl. It will cause you to have a pretty powerful shit, which can be kind of uncomfortable, which is why I choose not to use it. This is probably too much information, but I might as well just say it. Once, I took Bisacodyl, as I hadn't shit in about 6 days. Was heavily dependent at the time. I ended up shitting in my sleep around 8 hours after taking the pills. My stomach was in knots and quite painful. Luckily I didn't shit the bet, but boy was I close.

These are your options Fermonos. I wish you luck!

I thought senna was a suppository so I put like 4 up there and I had all kinds of cramps. Ive used enemas without much discomfort but omg I felt spasms in muscles I didnt know I had after that senna. Always read labels lol.

Suppositories are, as I've found, some of the most intense, powerful and thus uncomfortable laxative medications. Personally I'd call them a last resort.

May I just add, I don't think prune juice is given enough credence. Of course it probably won't be the one thing that gets you moving, but taken along with any of the other laxatives/osmotics mentioned in keif's list, yeah, it makes a difference in the speed at which you'll get relief. For instance, I too prefer miralax (peg3300), but I usually need more over a longer period of time if I take it with anything other than prune juice.

Mrylax was on it daily for years until i heard its horrible for ya now mainly i take xtra magnesium and grind chia seeds in my coffee grinder works great and get this its actually good for ya

As was said some type of fiber supplement such as Miralax , metamucil etc.

Personally for me the last resort is milk of magnesia. It always works but it literally turns my ass into a waterfall.