• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Codeine and Hepatotoxicity

Michael_25

Bluelighter
Hi all.

Everyone knows that if you take a large number of T3's you need to perform a CWE to remove the APAP, as it is hepatoxic. However, is codeine ALONE hepatoxic? How safe is it on the liver?

Thank you in advance.

It's rare that codeine or opioids themselves to cause liver damage but as you said, the acetaminophen they contain is another story. If you want to use Tylenol 3, don't go over 1,000 mg in one dose or do the CWE.

The main concern with opioids is respiratory depression, which basically means your brain tells your lungs to stop breathing. At those doses, you wouldn't live long enough to suffer liver damage.

Can you not legally purchase a bottle of Codeine Linctus where you live?

Just Codeine Phosphate as the own active ingredients along with a load of inactive ingredients (E numbers and other sweeteners/preservatives etc.)

Price wise it is a bargain - as 1 bottle contains 200ml of liquid and every 5ml teaspoon contains 15mg Codeine. So 600mg of pure Codeine Phosphate for a few quid.

I'm not saying it's any good health wise... But it's a cheap Codeine buzz. Much less hassle than messing about doing CWE's (IMO/IME)

Safe. ;)

Yes - 600mg for £2 or so. If people have ibuprofen/opioid compounded tablets/capsules, remember that ibuprofen is profoundly insoluble in water. If it's APAP you need to go down to when ice is just forming (won't get colder until the phase change from liquid to solid is complete) and look after yourselves - methionine from the health food shop will vastly reduce it's toxic liability (APAP + methionine is in the BNF for 'suicide risk' patients).

Can you not legally purchase a bottle of Codeine Linctus where you live?

Just Codeine Phosphate as the own active ingredients along with a load of inactive ingredients (E numbers and other sweeteners/preservatives etc.)

Price wise it is a bargain - as 1 bottle contains 200ml of liquid and every 5ml teaspoon contains 15mg Codeine. So 600mg of pure Codeine Phosphate for a few quid.

I'm not saying it's any good health wise... But it's a cheap Codeine buzz. Much less hassle than messing about doing CWE's (IMO/IME)

Safe. ;)

I don't think it is legal... i live in UK and the max amount of codeine per tablet OTC (legally allowed without prescription) is 12.8mg mixed with 500mg APAP. You can only get pure codeine via prescription. I'm pretty sure similar rules apply for the US.

We cant buy tablets here in the US. Sone states allow for OTC purchases of codeine cough syrup but its pretty rare.