• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Codeine Alone Raising Liver Enzymes

Michael_25

Bluelighter
Hi all,

For the past week or so I've been taking 450 mg of codeine after a thorough CWE on T3's. I double filter it using coffee filters. Now, I had a liver-function test taken after the 7 days of codeine use and my GP stated that 2 enzymes were quite elevated. I have not been drinking alcohol nor taken other drugs during this one week period, so the only culprit could be the codeine. I was always in belief that it was the APAP in in Tylenol 3 that screws up your liver. But I can rule out APAP so what do you guys think is the deal here?

Thanks!

A cold water extraction isn't foolproof and a certain amount of acetaminophen is going to get through. Prior to this blood work, did you ever have abnormal liver screen results in the past?

And remember that ALT and AST will spike just to screw with you sometimes. And for those enzymes, it's the ratio that's more helpful than absolute numbers.

Do you happen to know which two enzymes were above normal, and how high is "quite high"? And what did the actual licensed medical professional think could be the cause/meaning/prognosis? Something should have been up for her to order anything beyond a CBC panel in the first place.

I'm guessing you didn't mention your 15/day Tyco#3 habit, which unfiltered puts you at 4.5g APAP/day. Even with a poorly-done CWE, you should be below the (current) APAP guidelines. Call her office and see what the diagnosis was.