• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Codeine addiction and withdrawal

christhefish

Greenlighter
Hi everyone. I hope this is welcome here. I've been a recreational codeine user for a number of years, on and off, and I wanted to share my experience because I haven't seen many posts or articles which reflect my personal experience, and there may be some people out there who will benefit from hearing my experience.

I won't go in to a great deal about how it started. As with many opiate addictions, it started as a legitimate painkiller prescription following a head injury, and when the pain was no longer a problem, I kept taking it and increasing it because it felt good. My source was a mixture of online prescriptions (which thankfully seem to be more difficult to obtain now) and filtering from OTC Co-codamol and Nurofen Plus. I "topped out" at approxiately 700mg, two or sometimes three times a day. Because I "topped out" and never increased the dose past that point, after a while it had almost no effect on me, other than maybe chilling me out a tiny bit. Sometimes I'd miss a morning, or an evening but I never missed a full day, so I never experienced withdrawal or cravings, and this is where the problem came. I began to be very afraid of the withdrawal I had never experienced. I've scoured the internet for someone in a similar position, but all I could find was people saying they were coming off a "normal" prescription dose of ~200mg a day, and it wasn't bad.

I'm a happily married man with a wonderfully supportive wife (who never uses any drugs), but whilst she did know I used it occasionally, she didn't know I was hooked on it and using every day. So I began to fear that if I came off it, she would see the withdrawl and know that I'd been using a lot more and lying about it.

Long story short, one Friday I decided to do it. Cold turkey. I figured I can go through hell for a few days and then be normal again; that is what most of the stuff I'd read online suggested would be the worst case. Perhaps my biggest mistake was that on that Friday, I decided it was a clever idea to ease the suffering with a bottle of vodka, so I got hopelessly drunk by lunchtime. This is my first tip - don't drink during withdrawal. It doesn't help, and actually makes the experience worse. On the Saturday, it also made it harder to tell what was going on, because I wasn't certain how much of my symptoms were caused by withdrawal and how much by the huge hangover.

I spent the whole day on my sofa, suffering diarrhoea, vomiting every hour or so, and being unable to sleep. It was very unpleasant, but not horrific - it wasn't like Trainspotting; no hallucinations, no soaking wet bedsheets, just bad nausea (probably exacerbated by the hangover). Later in the day/evening I started to get "restless leg syndrome" but in my whole body, not just my legs. For a few hours, I had to keep moving almost constantly. I barely slept that night - I tended to fall asleep, then wake up after half an hour and lie there for another hour or so, repeating through the night.

The next day, I felt about 20% better, but still rough. At that point I decided cold turkey was just putting me through unnecessary suffering, and that I'd be better tapering (which I should have done from the start), so I bought myself a pack of Nurofen, and took 8x12.8mg codeine (along with an unnecessary 1600mg of ibuprofen, which did me no harm but is generally a terrible idea). The withdrawal went away almost entirely. It came back about 6-8 hours later, so I took another strip of 8 tablets, and that was enough for the day.

I then spent a couple of days on this dose, feeling absolutely normal again. After just a couple of days I was able to go cold turkey again with no withdrawal symptoms at all, except for a bit of diarrhoea which is to be expected.

So that's my advice to anyone in my position. Cold turkey is unpleasant, but not unbearable, so if you want to go down that route, it's very feasible, and should only last a couple of days. You could probably quit on a Friday and go back to work on Monday if you don't mind feeling a bit rough and carrying mild diarrhoea for a while. But tapering is VERY easy - you can likely go down 70-80% on day one and suffer minimal withdrawal. A lot of the advice I've read online treats it like heroin, and suggests reducing by 10% per week, but in my experience you can do codeine A LOT faster than that. Of course, all of this is only based on my personal experience - I don't know anyone else who has been through this, or even used codeine beyond its intended dose/purpose, so please don't take any of the above as gospel.

I hope that this is useful to someone, somewhere. If not, then I just wasted 20 minutes of my life, and I can get over that!

Congrats on your recovery. I'm glad that you didn't suffer too much. Now you don't have to hide it from your wife anymore. Well done !

Good to hear cutting out the codeine went relatively smooth for you! Keep in mind next time might not be that easy, be careful with opiates and opioids in the future. Withdrawals tend to get worse the more often you go through them. Thanks for sharing your experience.

But tapering is VERY easy - you can likely go down 70-80% on day one and suffer minimal withdrawal. A lot of the advice I've read online treats it like heroin, and suggests reducing by 10% per week, but in my experience you can do codeine A LOT faster than that. Of course, all of this is only based on my personal experience
First time I did my taper I also read online that I should reduce dosage 10% per week and that felt pretty disappointing. I thought it would kinda even out to 10% if I reduced dosage by 1 pill every day, but then thought screw it and just left out 1 out of 4 blisters on my dose. I continued this aggressive taper by making my last dose using only 2 out of 4 blister packs and stopped cold turkey after that. The withdrawal was definitely easier compared to previous attempts of stopping cold turkey, less diarrhea and better sleep.
I think codeine is a bit different from other opioids. I don't think conventional tapers (i.e 5% to 20% every 4 weeks) are the right choice for codeine. Aggressive or short tapers consisting of only a few days are the way to go IMO.

You took 700mgs of Codeine 2 to 3 times per day? Are you sure about this? 1400mgs to 2100mgs is well above fatal overdose territory. I recall taking around 150mgs of dihydrocodeine throughout the night once, the next morning I was in the back of a taxi and had a face like Prince Philip when he left the hospital last month. My liver felt completely shredded, although recovered after several days. I haven't touched Codeine again since and don't think I ever will under any circumstance. It's far more potent and lethal than it's given credit for.

Mate just because codeine a weak opiate it's still an opiate I found codeine wd very unpleasant but I was taking monster doses I'm talking 3000mg and no that s not a typo this is very dangerous and I don't recommend anyone try it eventually I exhausted all my sources except one which was my prescription but I blew through the prescription in a day and it was meant for a month I then graduated to heroin and went through a few years of basically being at rock bottom as soon as I first tried the heroin I just kept taking it and taking it I would never let myself run out unless I had no choice but some people forget when I tried heroin for the first time I had already been addicted to opiates for about5 years and the last year I was a hard-core user taking massive massive fucking doses no one.deserves to go.through it I have robbed fucked people over fucked my family over and done horrible horrible things I am only just getting myself sorted out through methadone treatment I have decided to throw in the towel where heroin is concerned in fact I only use it now and again now I used to need 6 decent sessions a day to stay well it was crazy I was and am very lucky because I had good dealers and friends this one dealer who felt sorry for me used to give me fat rocks which weighed about 3-4 grams and was worth over £150 he would sell them to me for £30 but he got sick of bailing me out all the time and me not paying my depts I then had to pay the normal price and turned to crime I am convinced I have an invisible guardian Angel looking over me I should be in jail... for a long long time I'm just gonna leave it at that I realised this a few months ago thankfully had a right old awakening some junkies take 10-20 years to really want to quit some never do I'm gonna say something that everyone told me to do mate and you won't like it quit now while your still ahead and believe me you are still ahead I was and am a very lucky person.. Just get some weed a couple beers put them away somewhere and anything else you can think of that might help shut yourself away in a room and get it over with mate don't waste your life like everyone else

You took 700mgs of Codeine 2 to 3 times per day? Are you sure about this? 1400mgs to 2100mgs is well above fatal overdose territory. I recall taking around 150mgs of dihydrocodeine throughout the night once, the next morning I was in the back of a taxi and had a face like Prince Philip when he left the hospital last month. My liver felt completely shredded, although recovered after several days. I haven't touched Codeine again since and don't think I ever will under any circumstance. It's far more potent and lethal than it's given credit for.

Codeine is notoriously metabolized very differently by people. 150mg wouldn't feel like much to me. Takes 250 to get a real opiate buzz.

Regardless, some people are extremely poor metabolizers and can barely get high at all from codeine.

I'm assuming this person is a poor metabolizer (which is not uncommon). If they aren't - there is something else going on here or their dosage is inaccurate.

I'd probably be in a coma myself after 500mg once (with no opioid tolerance at all).

With tolerance? I could easily see someone taking 2000mg.

Mate just because codeine a weak opiate it's still an opiate I found codeine wd very unpleasant but I was taking monster doses I'm talking 3000mg and no that s not a typo this is very dangerous and I don't recommend anyone try it eventually I exhausted all my sources except one which was my prescription but I blew through the prescription in a day and it was meant for a month I then graduated to heroin and went through a few years of basically being at rock bottom as soon as I first tried the heroin I just kept taking it and taking it I would never let myself run out unless I had no choice but some people forget when I tried heroin for the first time I had already been addicted to opiates for about5 years and the last year I was a hard-core user taking massive massive fucking doses no one.deserves to go.through it I have robbed fucked people over fucked my family over and done horrible horrible things I am only just getting myself sorted out through methadone treatment I have decided to throw in the towel where heroin is concerned in fact I only use it now and again now I used to need 6 decent sessions a day to stay well it was crazy I was and am very lucky because I had good dealers and friends this one dealer who felt sorry for me used to give me fat rocks which weighed about 3-4 grams and was worth over £150 he would sell them to me for £30 but he got sick of bailing me out all the time and me not paying my depts I then had to pay the normal price and turned to crime I am convinced I have an invisible guardian Angel looking over me I should be in jail... for a long long time I'm just gonna leave it at that I realised this a few months ago thankfully had a right old awakening some junkies take 10-20 years to really want to quit some never do I'm gonna say something that everyone told me to do mate and you won't like it quit now while your still ahead and believe me you are still ahead I was and am a very lucky person.. Just get some weed a couple beers put them away somewhere and anything else you can think of that might help shut yourself away in a room and get it over with mate don't waste your life like everyone else
So are you sorted now? Are you clean, or still on the methadone?

I'm lucky in a way - those "after school specials" as a kid really affected me, and I have always been terrified of heroin. I have become addicted to every substance I've ever taken - I'm a smoker, I was a massive pothead for a decade, I'm an alcoholic and even a caffeine addict. Fortunately, I realised this before I ever came in to contact with cocaine, crack, meth, heroin or any other "hard" drugs. I've never even had ecstasy/MDMA. I know for a fact that if I ever did a line of cocaine, I'd become a full blown addict! If I ever took heroin "just once", I feel 100% certain that in a few years I would either be dead, or I'd be a typical junkie, living on the streets, stealing whatever I can and living to get high.

Unfortunately, codeine was never presented to me as a "drug" - it was presented to me as medication, by a doctor. By the time I realised that I was using it as a recreational drug, I was already hooked. Fortunately, I remain terrified of "harder" opiates, so instead of upgrading to chase that initial high (which I understand is the backstory to a lot of heroin users), I was able to simply accept that it will never be as good as it once was and stick where I was.

For anyone trying to get clean, I do recommend Narcotics Anonymous, along with AA. They're not the solution for everyone, but I've found them very helpful.