• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Cocaine Cocaine that doesn't very easily or not at all absorb humidity

Holly.3

Bluelighter
We all know that pure cocaine is very water soluble meaning that it will rapidly dissolve when coming in contact with water or that it will rapidly absorb moisture from humid air causing the powder to become sticky and clumpy.

If cocaine has been exposed to humid air for a few hours, let's say sitting in your car after you purchase it, if the cocaine does not absorb moisture but rather the powder stays dry and is somewhat crunchy like and Sandy when chopping it with a razor blade into a line, instead of quickly absorbing moisture becoming very fluffy powdery and a bit clumpy and sticky, should that be a sign that the purity of the cocaine is a lot lower compared to cocaine that rapidly absorbs moisture becoming fluffy and sticky and clumpy?

I'm not sure what other Cuts would mimic the same type of water soluble as that of cocaine which would allow the appearance of a very quickly water absorbing powder and the clumpy, sticky look.

My way of thinking is, if the cocaine stays dry and the powder is Sandy like and is a bit crunchy when chopping it with a razor blade means it's not as good of quality compared to cocaine that is very fluffy and sticky and quickly absorb moisture.

Is my way of thanking flawed? Can non moisture absorbing cocaine still be of decent quality? What would cause it to not be quickly moisture-absorbing but yet still decent quality?

Yup I’ve noticed the crunchy shit that seems to stay dry much easier is definitely less potent than product which sucks water out of the air like a sponge. I hate when I get some and it’s rocks like that.

-GC

Whatever it is, it ain't coke.

Good cocaine - even moisture damaged cocaine that has degraded to benzoylecgonine - should dissolve very quickly and easily in water, at suprisngly high concentrations. It also has a characteristic look to it, a "pearly sheen" I believe the usual descriptor is.

Dry, chalky looking stuff that takes coaxing to dissolve is definitely not cocaine HCl. If none of it dissolves in water until you acidify it, maybe, if you're lucky, it's crumbled/powdered freebase cocaine. But if it dissolves in water at all, it could really be anything.

Wooooooo!!! Ahem, I mean, ... maybe buy one of those airtight freezedry machines you see on 4 a.m. infomercials, which you have cause you're on coke.

Stuff that stays dryer, chalky like and has a slight crunching like sound when topping up a line with a razor blade that doesn't absorb moisture from humid air. Cocaine that has been sitting in your car for 6 hours exposed to normal humid air that is still very dry, no signs of any moisture absorption that is still very dry, chalky like and a little crunchy as you chop it with a razor blade...

Should that be a warning sign that what you have is poor quality cocaine?

I'd say.
Powder cocaine has the euphemism "soft" for a reason - as far as I recall pure cocaine doesn't crunch when manipulated with e.g. a razor blade...

Absolutely a sign of warning. As I think you pointed out in your question, this is not to imply that any coke-like substance which becomes moist when exposed to humidity is in any way a sign of good coke purity either. Plenty of cuts can mimic the water absorption qualities of actual coke.

Try two things - first try to dissolve some of the substance in a glass of room temperature water. I have found the crunchy stuff almost never fully dissolves completely, or sometimes dissolves very little - would indicate very little to zero coke. Second, expose some of the substance to air. If you do not notice any appreciable increase in moistness after a little while you have something that is certainly not predominantly coke. Sometimes crunchy coke will start to moisten when exposed to air, and will begin crumbling to the touch. This is still usually a sign of rerocked coke, especially if it separates in easily identifiable layers.

Anecdotally, I knew a less than reputable dealer several years back who actually showed me how he mixed ground up caffeine pills as filler in his coke and then rerocked it with a press. As you might imagine the low grade stuff he slung was crunchy and did not dissolve in water or moisten in humid air.

I have noticed the same thing, crunchy, non moisture absorbing cocaine does not dissolve quickly in water. Okay. That easily and rapidly absorb moisture when absorbing too humid air, seems that an overwhelming majority (85% - 90% +) if not 100% of it will completely dissolve very rapidly in water.

It would be nice out of curiosity if there was a list of the top 10 - 15 most common cuts and how water soluble cut is compared to pure cocaine. I'm curious if there's any cuts that are just as or very close to being water-soluble as cocaine.

I've also noticed, cocaine That is extremely water soluble is for the majority, more numbing than dry chalky crunchy cocaine.

I've also noticed, cocaine That is extremely water soluble is for the majority, more numbing than dry chalky crunchy cocaine.
Makes me think some moron cut it with gypsum or something.

The numbing from good quality cocaine is notably less intense than an equivalent amount of e.g. lidocaine. If you end up with a numb face after consuming small amounts of "cocaine", that's a bad sign.

It would be nice out of curiosity if there was a list of the top 10 - 15 most common cuts and how water soluble cut is compared to pure cocaine. I'm curious if there's any cuts that are just as or very close to being water-soluble as cocaine.

OK. Here's a few common ones, info from Clarke's or ChemBook. This should cover most common cuts used nowadays and some lesser used ones too.

Benzocaine: Numbing agent. Colourless crystals or white crystalline powder. Mp 88C to 92C. Soluble 1 in 2500 of water, 1 in 8 of ethanol, 1 in 2 of chloroform and 1 in 4 of ether; soluble in dilute acids. pKa 2.5 (25C). Log P (octanol/water), 1.9.

Benzoylecgonine: The major hydrolysis product of cocaine. Inactive as a CNS stimulant but retains the numbing effect of cocaine. The hydrated form occurs as crystals. Mp 86C to 92C (anhydrous) 195C (with decomposition). Very soluble in hot water; soluble in ethanol; practically insoluble in ether; soluble in dilute acids and alkalis. Log P (octanol/water) -1.3.

Boric acid: A mild antiseptic agent and weak acid. Colourless, odourless, transparent crystals, or white granules or powder. Mp 171C. Very soluble in water, alcohol, glycerol.

"B12 tablets": contain almost no vitamin B12 by weight (maybe 10 micrograms?) and are sometimes used as a cutting agent. Presumably a mixture of microcrystalline cellulose, modified cellulose/starches, and/or fillers like lactose, talc, etc. No defined compostion. (Pure vitamin B12 is a blood red compound when viewed in solution.)

Caffeine: A stimulant. Silky white crystals, usually matted together, or a white crystalline powder. It sublimes at 178C. Mp 238C. When crystallised from water, caffeine contains 1 molecule of water of crystallisation, but it is anhydrous when crystallised from ethanol, chloroform or ether. It is decomposed by strong solutions of caustic alkalis. Freely soluble in pyrrole, in tetrahydrofuran containing approx. 4% water; soluble in ethyl acetate; soluble 1 in 46 of water, 1 in 5.5 of water at 80C, 1 in 1.5 of boiling water, 1 in 66 of alcohol, 1 in 22 of alcohol at 60C, 1 in 50 of acetone, 1 in 5.5 of chloroform; 1 in 530 of ether, 1 in 100 of benzene, 1 in 22 of boiling benzene; slightly soluble in petroleum ether. Solubility in water is increased by alkali benzoates, cinnamates, citrates or salicylates. pKa 10.4 (40C) [Dean et al. 1985], 14.0 (25C). Log P (octanol/water), -0.07 [Hansch et al. 1995].

Cocaine freebase: "Crack" or "hard". A white crystalline, slightly volatile, powder. Mp 98C. Soluble 1 in 600 of water (1 in 270 of water at 80C), 1 in 6.5 of ethanol, 1 in 0.7 of chloroform and 1 in 3.5 of ether; also soluble in acetone, ethyl acetate and carbon disulfide. pKa 8.7 [Needham et al. 2000], 8.6 (20C). Log P (octanol/water), 2.3.

Cocaine hydrochloride: Powder cocaine, "soft", "blow", etc. Hygroscopic colourless crystals or white crystalline powder. Mp ~195C, with decomposition. Soluble 1 in 0.4 of water, 1 in 3.2 of cold alcohol, 1 in 2 of hot alcohol and 1 in 12.5 of chloroform; also soluble in glycerol and acetone; practically insoluble in ether.

Creatine monohydrate: Dietary supplement, not psychoactive, used as a cut. White crystalline powder. Soluble about 1 in 60 parts water at 20°C. Insoluble in ether.

Dexamphetamine sulphate (also amphetamine sulfate): A stimulant. Not as widely used as a cocaine adulterant any more. A white or almost white crystalline powder. Mp >300C. Soluble 1 in 9 to 1 in 10 of water and 1 in 800 of ethanol; practically insoluble in ether.

Diltilazem hydrochloride: Detected as a cut in cocsaine, no clue why. A calcium channel blocker used to treat cardiac conditions. White, odourless, crystalline powder or small crystals. It is freely soluble in water, chloroform, dichloromethane, formic acid and methyl alcohol; sparingly soluble in dehydrated alcohol; practically insoluble in ether. Mp 207.5C to 212.0C. Log P (octanol/water) 19.4 [Cassidy et al. 1988].

Inositol: A non-absorbable sugar analog, effectively dietary fibre. White crystal or crystalline powder, odorless, and sweet; Relative density: 1.752 (anhydrous), 1.524 (dihydrate), Mp 225~227 ℃ (anhydrous), 218 °C (dihydrate), boiling point 319 °C. Soluble in water 1 in 7 (25 °C), 1 in 3.5 (60 °C), slightly soluble in ethanol, acetic acid, ethylene glycol and glycerol, insoluble in ether, acetone and chloroform. Stable in air; Stable to heat, acid and alkali, but is hygroscopic.

Lactose: Milk sugar. A white to off-white crystalline particles or powder with a sweet taste. Freely but slowly soluble in water, practically insoluble in 95% ethanol. Mp approx 223C.

Levamisole hydrochloride (aka tetramisole hydrochloride): An antihelmitic (dewormer) medication usually used in veterinary medicine. Used as a cut in cocaine due to its similarity in texture/appeareance, its ability to "cook back" into a freebase (sometimes yields of powder-> crack conversion are used as a crude measure of purity) and its metabolic conversion to aminorex (or something of the sort), which also lends it a stimulant effect lasting much longer than cocaine, albeit an unpleasant one. A white to pale cream-coloured crystalline powder. Mp 264C to 265C. Soluble 1 in 5 of water, 1 in 50 of ethanol, 1 in 3000 of chloroform and 1 in 10 of methanol; very slightly soluble in ether.

Lidocaine hydrochloride: Local aneshtetic agent. Strong numbing effect. A white crystalline powder. Mp 77C to 78C. Soluble 1 in 0.7 of water, 1 in 1.5 of ethanol, and 1 in 40 of chloroform; practically insoluble in ether.

Mannitol: A sugar alcohol. Sometimes used as a mild laxative agent. A white odourless crystalline powder or granules with a sweet taste. Freely soluble in water (182 g/L at 25C); slightly soluble in pyridine, aniline, glycerol (1 g in 18 mL); very slightly soluble in alcohol; practically insoluble in ether. Mp 166C to 168C. Bp 290C to 295C at 3 to 5mmHg. pKa 13.5 (25C). Log P (octanol/water), -3.10.

Methylenedioxypyrovalerone hydrochloride (MDPV): Potent stimulant in the cathinone family. John Macaffee's drug of choice. Not as common any more. A white to tan colored powder. Mp 238 -239 °C with decomposition. Soluble in chloroform, methanol, and deionized water. Aqueous solutions are reported to be somewhat unstable, degrading over time.

Paracetamol (aka acetaminophen): A common painkiller and fever reducer. Usually a marker of amateurs cutting cocaine - phenacetin is more wide;y used by the manufacturers/distributors, presumably from its closer appearance to coke. White crystals or crystalline powder. Mp 169.0C to 170.5C. Very slightly soluble in cold water, considerably more soluble in hot water; soluble in ethanol, methanol, dimethylformamide, ethylene dichloride, acetone and ethyl acetate; very slightly soluble in chloroform; slightly soluble in ether; practically insoluble in petroleum ether, pentane and benzene. pKa 9.5 (25C). Log P (octanol/water), 0.5.

Procaine hydrochloride: Local anesthetic. Colourless crystals or a white crystalline powder. Mp 153C to 156C. Soluble 1 in 1 of water, 1 in 30 of ethanol and 1 in 30 of dehydrated alcohol; slightly soluble in chloroform; practically insoluble in ether.

Phenacetin: The commercial predecessor to paracetamol, also a prodrug for paracetamol. Pulled from the market due to a risk of agranulocytosis (low white blood cell count). Still used as a cut in cocaine though. White glistening crystalline scales or fine white crystalline powder. Mp 134C to 135C. Soluble 1 in 1300 of water, 1 in 15 of ethanol, 1 in 14 of chloroform and 1 in 90 of ether. pKa 2.2. Log P (octanol/water), 1.6.

Last edited:
How should cocaine look if it's been acetone washed?

If you're Source claims the 4 grams you're getting has been acetone washed, should it have a distinct look? In other words, should the 4 grams be mostly powder, small flakes and rocks, several larger rocks or one solid rock? Should the Rocks be hard or firm but easy to break apart? Should it have a shiny pearlescent look or more of a doll flat look? And I assume since it's been washed and of higher quality, it should easily absorb moisture from the air.

I think it's definitely a good Benchmark but I don't think that is a fool-proof method of determining purity.

I don't think it's out of the question with something like this if you're a heavy user to something in it for testing and try and locate a good connection that way in the end I think trust is the biggest factor here

My initial question was mostly out of curiosity and maybe a little education.

@Moon the loon In my experience when coke is acetone washed it returns as a crystal/powder, ranging in color from white to grayish to dull yellowish. The acetone wash does not return coke back as “rocks” like you would get if someone cut it directly off the brick. I would definitely be suspicious if someone tried to market rocked cocaine to me as being acetone washed. That would seem to indicate that someone rerocked the coke, which makes no sense if the point of performing the acetone wash is to purify the content.

So what you're saying is, after acetone washing cocaine, the end result should be powder cocaine? If so, coarse powder that still needs to be chopped up or a finer powder that requires little to none shopping with a razor blade to make it fine enough to snort?

To say that it sometimes can resemble a yellowish color? Very good close and trusted friend gave me a little more than 3 ounces of cocaine that contained no rocks large flakes that 3 broken up into powder. It was mostly powder that was find enough to be snorted, but for my liking still required shopping with a razor blade but not much at all. This cocaine was a pale, light yellow, at first glance oh, it reminded me of a stick of butter that was light pale yellow. She had stashed it in a different location and where she normally keeps her stash and forgot all about it until she came across it, forgetting all about it and that it was stashed there. She claimed that it was 3 4 years old which is why it turned yellow. She did not know if it was still any good or not and because of it being yellow, decided that she couldn't sell it. She ended up giving it to me to try and see if it was any good or not I said I could get rid of it if it wasn't any good.

As I remember, it absorb moisture from the air nice and quickly. The powder what is nice and fluffy instead of course and Sandy or chalky like. Numbing effect was what you would expect tasted cocaine. One key bump sample produced a very nice high.

Because it produced a very nice high with low dosage very much resembling fish scale cocaine that I've previously had and tested with a very high quality and purity test result, I ended up keeping it. And, I also figured out with it being yellow that it would be harder to sell and explain why it had a yellowish look.

I've never heard nor found anything on the internet talking about Cocaine turning yellow with age. At least four different times in the past I've had average quality and high-quality cocaine that was in my stash for any ware from 2 to 4 1/2 years that didn't turn yellow because it was old. It had the same look as the day I got it. You couldn't that it was old.

Could have this pale yellowish cocaine have possibly been acetone washed, causing it to turn yellow? And my friend saying that turned yellow due to age for lack of a better explanation, maybe not remembering if it was white or yellow when she got it close to 3 years earlier?

There has been no set standard I have seen as far as texture and color following an acetone wash. Some of the coke I’ve seen go through the process has already been bright white to off white to yellowish prior to going through. I have sometimes seen color removed or lessened during the wash, likely the elimination of a cut. But the wash itself did not turn a white batch let’s say into yellow. In the case of acetone wash coupled with ethanol recrystalization, I have seen on occasion a white input turn slightly yellowish in output.

As for texture, I have seen powder returned that was relatively fluffy, but I have also seen powder returned that is coarser, almost like tiny pebbles. The acetone wash is only so successful, so essentially the quality of what you put in will be a direct reflection of what you get out.

I have had coke color change on its own when stored for long periods of time. I have seen white powder degrade into a brownish element, or a pale yellow, and have always chalked that up to cuts, manufacturing technique/quality, and the manner in which the product itself was stored over time. However, like yourself, I have also had product that one year after the fact remained the exact color and texture as when first acquired.

I know this pale yellow cocaine that my friend gave me was stored small 4 gram ziplock baggie like you get at head shops. It was also stored in a dark air conditioned environment. The only thing come up with that makes most sense is, if the cocaine was oh, what you would expect white appearance when she got it, the only thing that makes sense is that overtime, a particular cut degraded and started to turn yellow. I strongly doubt she would purchase yellow looking cocaine. but as far as of the high, I would easily compared it to that of real deal good quality fish scale that I've had and tested with an easy white kit proving that it was high quality and purity. so it was when she got it and whatever turned it yellow did not affect the quality of the high. I'm just not sure and have never heard or any information regarding cocaine turning yellow. I'm not sure if it has to do with where it came from as far as Columbia, Peru or Bolivia the manufacturing process would cause cocaine to turn yellow with age. So for now I'm just going to assume it was more of a that didn't have a noticeable negative effect on the quality of the cocaine and the purity.

but like I I said earlier, all the times that I've had cocaine stashed away for two or more years, never turned yellow.