• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

cocaine and sleep

district9

Bluelighter
After a few late night bumps I usually use nyquil to get some sleep. But these days Nyquil isn't working as well as before. Any suggestions on anything else that could give me a nice night of sleep?

i find i feel healthier when i just let a stimulant wear off and fall asleep with out mixing any downers even if that means sleeping less time, but i'm pretty sure people use benzos if that's your thing and there isn't much health concern if you aren't over doing it.

don't really know if there are any better or similar drugs to recommend. surprised no one answered this yet.

i've been trying various pills for about 2 years, when I used stimulants (amph) daily (I also have insomia even without stimulants, and on them it gets insufferable)

There really aren't any better drugs for sleep than benzos. a lot of other drugs will push you into sleep, but it'll be less quality sleep and more side effects

Here's what i've tried:

Kratom - it's a gamble, random results, can give you stimulation instead of relaxation (even with same doses). it helped me to sleep several times, but more often did the opposite. for some people it even never works as a sedative, no matter which strain or amount

Herbal Sedatives - valerian, and passionflower, kava-kava, hops, lemon balm - too weak effect, not enough to fall sleep after stimulants
Herbal sleep aids such as valerian, passionflower, and kava may be among the most commonly used herbal products

Melatonin, Magnesium (in bisglycinate form, the citrate form is less effective for sleeping) - same as above

Barbiturates - in high dosage helping, but not worth trying, and probably they aren't even sold in your country (because it's obsolete and harmful class of drugs)

Gabapentinoids - Pregabalin (Lyrica), gabapentin - helped to sleep only in veeeery high dosages. also effects vary even for same person, i often had bad trips and mental breakdowns on these drugs

Anticholinergetics - e.g. doxylamine (Nyquil that you mentioned) - aren't always working and on high dosages causing delirium and panic attacks

Some antidepressants and Antipsychotics - amitriptyline, mirtazapine, Quetiapine/Seroquel - can get u to sleep, but next day terrible hangover and side effects, especially sleepiness and drowness. So next day I usually need to use stimulants to get rid of this, and it's a vicious cycle lol

All of these may not won't give you a night of really good sleep. Because they mostly "shut you down", turning off consciousness, but not the stimulation. Heart is still racing, body temperature high, and brain didn't went to "sleep mode", you aren't getting into phase of deep sleep, which is most important sleep phase for quality, restorative and refreshing sleep.

Benzos and Z-drugs slower brain activity, remove stimulation and turn you sleeping in more "natural", better and healthier way

For me Xanax is amazing in that matter. I remember clearly binging on stimulants all day and night, then using Xanax in morning, falling asleep for several hours and waking up sometimes feeling more restored and energized than after sleeping normal long hours without Xanax. I also track my sleep, and after Xanax nights sleep scores were good (like resting heart rate, body temperature, HRV, and amount of deep sleep).

As of other benzos, Clonazepam is strong, Phenazepam is crazily strong shit, very effective, but turns you into a zombie and gives freaking amnesia. Diazepam is cool - less potent, has long duration (about 8-10 hrs, unlike Xanax lasting couple of hours) can give u sleepiness next day, but is least harmful and addictive.
Z-drugs (Zaleplon, Zolpidem/Ambien, Zopiclone) are also effective.

But they are only for occasional usage, not long-term and regular, because tolerance and addiction raise incredibly fast. And benzos withdrawal is one of the worst that could be. For me it lasted for months, and still continues. Or maybe it's permanent damage and these raised anxiety levels won't ever go away, idk

So, shortly - benzos (diazepam or xanax) or Z-drugs, but be very careful with them and avoid frequent usage and addiction

Last edited:
Also there's Buspirone. For me it's too weak, need a whole blister pack or more to fall asleep. But for my boyfriend several pills work like a charm

How about regular sleep aids like Ambien or Unisom?
They should work but everyone is different. The few times I've used meth benzos or anything didn't work. I had to wait until it completely worn off