• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Gabapentinoids Clonidine and gabapentin okay to mix for opioid withdrawal?

tarman

Bluelighter
So, searching the forum, I get some hits on this topic, but I wanted to make a specific thread about gabapentin and clonidine being used concurrently for opioid withdrawal. Basically, is it okay to mix them? Just that moderate levels, like 0.1 mg of the clonidine and maybe 600 to 900 mg of the gabapentin? I got a script for the clonidine and bupe, but I had acquired the gabapentin last week not knowing what was going to be prescribed. The gabapentin is legit, 300mg capsules.

How long after my last dose of h should i take the clonidine? I've already started taking the gabapentin but it takes forever to absorb and kick in. I'm about 5 hours past my last h dose. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks. I actually avoided taking them at the same time. Im one week on the subs, down to 8 mg a day (yes yes, i know some of you are going to say "thats a a lot!", but its less than the 16, 14, 12 mg from the past week ive been stepping down from- ive tapered aggressively on previous cessations). Going to chip off 1 or 2mg a day, then jump on friday and see how i feel this weekend with the clonidine and gabas as my helper comfort meds. i know that jumping off 2mg is usually bad, but having inly been on the subs for 2 weeks, it's right in the window for escaping a prolonged withdrawal. Won't be the easiest thing, but damn, the clonidine by itself is fantastic. So clonidine + gabas should help plenty. Plus some weed.

Last edited:
One thing I know about tapering is to catch myself quickly. If I get into a shitty mood, I'll stop going down and just pause the dose before I do something rascally.

absolutely, i’m actually on these two meds at the moment! just watch out for syncope and standing up fast :)

Thank you for all who warned about standing up quickly. I did not know that and may be on both again sometime.

Pregabalin 150-300mg (better bioavailability & potency than Gabapentin)
Clonidine 0.1mg
Diazepam 10mg
Alprazolam 0.5mg
Metadol 1mg (optional) Methadone tablets

this oral cocktail is a supercharged anxiolytic combo and would eliminate opioid withdrawal symptoms in their track

Metadol 1/5/10/25mg scored tablets are available in Canada / and Methadose 5/10/40mg scored tablets in US. Id take a 1mg tablet which would take the edge off with its 24h super long half-life

but even without it ….Gabapentin & Clonidine is a great combo

Hey @Dextro .45 you've absolutely done nothing wrong. I value your opinion. I just want to share mine on the subject of your post above. I think it's best to start as low as possible regarding the medications. I have no doubt that this would feel great for someone in withdrawal. It's just a lot of stuff to throw out right from the start. We don't know if this guy will need two different Benzodiazepines and Pregabalin (Lyrica) on top of everything else. It's totally possible he might, but we should always try to start with less and work our way up. That's just my stance.

We're so much less in control of this shit than we tend to believe. Every time a person takes an addictive drug, it's opening that door a little bit and allowing the potential for chronic addiction/dependence. I'm not sure how many people have ended up Benzodiazepine addicts as a result of using them for Opioid withdrawal, but I damn sure know they're out there somewhere. I know plenty of former Opioid users who became lifelong, problem-users of Gabapentinoids. It's actually an incredibly common phenomenon, the latter statement I mean.

I definitely haven't turned into an anti-drug Nazi. I just want people to approach these situations with as much knowledge as possible. It's very easy to make wrong turns. I know a lot of people reading this right now can look back on their lives and remember those 2-3 major wrong turns that left them in places they never wanted to be. These drugs can be used both for fun and for medicine, but they need to be respected. We're playing scientist with the chemistry of our own brains, which from a philosophical standpoint means we are all fucking with our own reality when we use drugs (no I'm not on acid right now).

Clonidine (Catapres) can be taken with Gabapentin (Neurontin) without issue. There are no specific contraindications between these two drugs. Both are capable of producing sedation/drowsiness, so you definitely should not drive or operate machinery until you're positive you know what these drugs are about. If you're using responsible dosages, the sedation shouldn't be anything too crazy. Most people will be put out pretty quickly by 0.2mg Clonidine, though withdrawal leads to an innate tolerance to the sedating effects of the Clonidine. People generally will take as much Clonidine as is needed to counteract their withdrawal.

The major indication that you've taken too much Clonidine is going to be severe sedation and Orthostatic Hypotension> which typically manifests as feeling very light headed upon getting up from sitting or lying. This just means you need to not take any more Clonidine for 6-8 hours. The idea is that you will get to a relaxed state or otherwise be able to sleep.

Yes, I totally agree. It’s a slippery slope indeed.

Clonidine + Gabapentin would be very beneficial to ease the uncomfortable feeling of opioid withdrawal

I couldn’t disagree with anything you stated