• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Treatment Clonidine and blood pressure

I'm only taking 0.05mg clonidine at the moment but it's helping my anxiety a lot. A little bit of daytime sleepiness but I'm going to consult my dr and probably start taking it a bit earlier (I take it at night). Compared to benzos that I've taken it's actually HELPED the anxiety without any of the withdrawal symptoms that build up quickly with benzos. From my understanding librium is still a benzo. I haven't had a huge drop in blood pressure since the clonidine. Or rebound.
Do you mean 0.5 mg or do you break a 0.1 mg tablet in half?

So I started Clonidine yesterday because I wasn’t sleeping and also had akathesia. It does what it’s supposed to but too well. I took it at 3pm yesterday and never took my second dose because I was out until 430am. I haven’t been sleeping for about two weeks but it got increasingly worse to where I didn’t sleep Thursday and Friday. So I guess I may have needed the sleep but I didn’t feel tired at all before.

I figured it’s my BP too low. I wasn’t going to take it today but I checked with the pharmacist and they said I’m fine. Yet my bp is now 92/44 and I’m due for my second dose. I asked her for a cut off level and she didn’t give me one.

Wouldn’t it be risky to take my second dose? I don’t take it for blood pressure but my BP usually runs 130/80. So 92/44 is really low and that’s just with one dose. I’m nervous to go to sleep even if I skip this dose because I know my bp will drop again.

Thoughts? Thanks ya’ll
What was your dose? .1, .2, or .3mg?

If you don't abuse chlordiazepoxide and take it as prescribed for short term sleep, induction and maintenance, you don't get withdrawal.

Yeah, if you're using clonidine at sleep-effective doses short term, you're not getting withdrawal, either. Fuck, I take it nearly every night at my tiny ass sleep dose to help get me to sleep and when I randomly don't bother for a couple of days because I'm too lazy to pick it up, I haven't had anything remotely feeling like a withdrawal. Not even some minor baby nonsense.

I still think it's outrageous you initially acted like librium doesn't have a withdrawal. Obviously if you take it in the lowest effective dose and only very short term, you won't have problems (assuming you don't decide to abuse the med). That's the same with, wait for it... every benzo that exists. Librium is not special. If you take it for a long time and/or at higher doses, you're still gonna have to taper to avoid withdrawals. We're also on a forum full of addicts and recovering addicts who would be far more likely to misuse a benzo. I don't understand at all what you were thinking.

Yeah, if you're using clonidine at sleep-effective doses short term, you're not getting withdrawal, either.

I still think it's outrageous you initially acted like librium doesn't have a withdrawal. Obviously if you take it in the lowest effective dose and only very short term, you won't have problems (assuming you don't decide to abuse the med). That's the same with, wait for it... every benzo that exists. Librium is not special. If you take it for a long time and/or at higher doses, you're still gonna have to taper to avoid withdrawals.
That's not the same for every benzo that exists. If you take Xanax for a week you're going to have withdrawal. Because it's a short acting benzo with a short half life. Halcyon can cause interdose withdrawal in a few days, because it's a shorter acting benzo with a shorter half life than alprazolam.

You can take Librium as prescribed for months and taper off without withdrawal. Because it is uniquely, low potency long acting and extremely long half-life.

Chlordiazepoxide is absolutely special being low potency and extremely long half-life.

You obviously don't know pharmacokinetics and how they affect withdrawal or you wouldn't have made the asinine statement that if you take any benzo prescribed you won't get withdrawal - which is absolutely false.

Yes, like I said, you would have to taper off librium to avoid withdrawals. Just like the others. And I have no idea who you were speaking to that said taking any benzo won't get you withdrawal, because it certainly wasn't me. You were literally the only person downplaying benzo withdrawal in this thread.

The only lack of of knowledge that seems like it has any relevance to our argument is for xanax. It didn't occur to me anyone would ever prescribe that as an around the clock med rather than a "as needed" med.

Well, other than the lack of knowledge from OP about their actual situation. But we're all in the dark there.