• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Clonazolam journal & metabolites

From a purely chemistry perspective, GC/MS can probably confirm any small molecule as long as the ionizing pattern of that molecule is known, but you need to be looking out for that compound. Pure hypothesis here but I think clonazolam could ionize in similar ways to alprazolam and clonazepam. The molar mass of clonazolam is 353 compared to 308 and 315 for the other 2 molecules, however the molecular peaks don't always show up. So unless the mass spec is extremely accurate and sensitive, there is a reasonable chance that there will be quite a lot of evidence that some sort of benzo has been ingested, and one could simply claim that alprazolam or clonazepam has been ingested even if the mass spec doesn't show exactly so.

So to answer the question, if the analyzer has a very powerful machine and is a man of accuracy and is asked "does this sample have alprazolam in it?", he will say no. But it is more likely the case that the man will be asked "does this guy abuse benzodiazepines?", and when he observes similar ionic peaks to alprazolam he will know some sort of benzo has been taken and say yes.

From a purely chemistry perspective, GC/MS can probably confirm any small molecule as long as the ionizing pattern of that molecule is known, but you need to be looking out for that compound. Pure hypothesis here but I think clonazolam could ionize in similar ways to alprazolam and clonazepam. The molar mass of clonazolam is 353 compared to 308 and 315 for the other 2 molecules, however the molecular peaks don't always show up. So unless the mass spec is extremely accurate and sensitive, there is a reasonable chance that there will be quite a lot of evidence that some sort of benzo has been ingested, and one could simply claim that alprazolam or clonazepam has been ingested even if the mass spec doesn't show exactly so.

So to answer the question, if the analyzer has a very powerful machine and is a man of accuracy and is asked "does this sample have alprazolam in it?", he will say no. But it is more likely the case that the man will be asked "does this guy abuse benzodiazepines?", and when he observes similar ionic peaks to alprazolam he will know some sort of benzo has been taken and say yes.
If a sample is analyzed by GC/MS and the fragmentation pattern does not match a known compound, then the peak is labeled as an unknown. Without further testing, there is no way to unequivocally identify an unknown peak as belonging to the benzodiazepine class.

My bad, so I looked up the fragmentation patterns of the compounds in question and they do look rather different. But yeah, if the lab database of compounds doesn't have the pattern for a particular compound, then one can't prove that that compound is in the sample. On the other hand, I'd guess that the more advanced labs would have very up to date databases which include research chemical patterns

I wanted to quickly add my finding about drug test. Over the last year i have been taking many drug test. This would include two lab test (Quest Diagnostics & the other was West something?), the iCup, and ten random quick dip stick test (BZO only) from Ebay. Every single dip test tested POSITIVE while the labs could NOT confirm it. This also applied for Flubromazolam & Etizolam. I even went as far and took urine and dumped clonazolam, Flubromazolam, and etizolam powder into three separate cups. The ebay test strips detected each one unmetabolized as POSITIVE.

My bad, so I looked up the fragmentation patterns of the compounds in question and they do look rather different. But yeah, if the lab database of compounds doesn't have the pattern for a particular compound, then one can't prove that that compound is in the sample. On the other hand, I'd guess that the more advanced labs would have very up to date databases which include research chemical patterns

It's been some time since clonazolam appeared as an RC benzo, so I'm sure the data is already available for forensic labs.