• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Benzos Clonazepam taper. Lack of sleep

Ken B

Bluelighter
Ok, I quit alcohol 6 months ago. I was hospitalized and experienced DT’s and was given large quantities of Benzo’s. When released my marriage ended and I was a basket case with extreme anxiety. My doctor put me on clonazepam .5 x 3 a day. and Zopiclone 7.5 at night. I have been tapering since July and am now down to 1 .5 clonazepam, per day and still taking a 7.5 Zopiclone at night. I returned to work and got myself a new place to live recently. The issue I’m having is not getting enough sleep. I take the Zopiclone at night and it helps me fall asleep, however after 2.5-3 hours I wake up and can’t get back to sleep. I’ve been feeling tired during the day and it’s hard to function. This has been happening for a month. Any advice or knowledge of why this is happening would be appreciated, My alcohol counselor told me I may be experiencing PAWS from the alcohol.

Sounds like you need a gentle SSRI for sleep as well. Try trazadone or mirtzapine, they are well studied, with minimal side effects.
you’ve grown tolerant of the zoplicone, you are heading in the right directions with tapering the benzos.
You could try herbal remedies like valerian root, skull cap, or smoke some pot a few hours before bed.
Or you can try and ride this out... this will eventually pass dude. You’re becoming stronger now
Good luck

Hey man. I feel your pain. I too have been through alcohol detox and understand how difficult it can be. This is especially true for the lack of sleep. Not sleeping is miserable enough, but having to deal with the fatigue the next day at work is equally terrible.

It sounds like you have a good relationship with your doctor so I think you could make a reasonable request in the form of a longer acting sleep medication. If I'm not mistaken, you're able to fall asleep, but staying asleep is where you're having problems.

Zopiclond (Imovane) is in a class of drugs known as Z-Drugs. They are similar to Benzodiazepines in their action, but one of their main drawbacks is their relatively short duration of action. In short, they're great for getting you to sleep, but not helping you stay asleep.

There are Z-Drugs that come in extended release formulations. I'm unsure if Zopiclone is one of them. I do know that a similar medication, Zolpidem (Ambien) comes in an extended release formulation, so I would discuss this possibility with your prescriber.

If they're willing to prescribe a Z-Drug in the first place, I would think that an extended release form of the drug would not be an unreasonable request.

If not there are certainly other medications that might help that are non-addictive and thus more likely to be prescribed. Ramelteon (Rozerem) is, in essence, a more effective relative of Melatonin. I've talked to a lot of people who have had good luck with this medication

Why dont we start here and see if any of these suggestions work. Let us know how you're doing and we will help you out as much as we can!

Sounds like you need a gentle SSRI for sleep as well. Try trazadone or mirtzapine, they are well studied, with minimal side effects.
you’ve grown tolerant of the zoplicone, you are heading in the right directions with tapering the benzos.
You could try herbal remedies like valerian root, skull cap, or smoke some pot a few hours before bed.
Or you can try and ride this out... this will eventually pass dude. You’re becoming stronger now
Good luck
Thanks for your words and support. Not feeling like a whole person yet, I’m working on it, perhaps I will be stronger. The end of a relationship with someone I truly loved has become so real as my head clears.

Thanks for your words and support. Not feeling like a whole person yet, I’m working on it, perhaps I will be stronger. The end of a relationship with someone I truly loved has become so real as my head clears.

I'm really sorry to hear all that brother. Dont let it get you down. You're very vulnerable right now emotionally.

Were you able to talk to your doctor? How is the sleep situation? Just let us know if you need help :)

I feel your pain. :cry: You've been through some of the worst pain known to man. It's a gut punch, I know. I've been through this exact loss. It sucks like nothing else.

It does get better but it takes time coming to terms with losing someone you dreamed you'd spend the rest of your life with.

PM me if you want to talk. I'm always here.

Thanks, I feel stronger knowing I’m not alone. Yes the gut punch....so true

I'm really sorry to hear all that brother. Dont let it get you down. You're very vulnerable right now emotionally.

Were you able to talk to your doctor? How is the sleep situation? Just let us know if you need help :)
Thanks I will, last night I got 6 hours of sleep. I was amazed when I awoke and looked at the clock. I hope this will continue. I had to email my psychiatrist, told him the whole situation, I have not heard back yet.