• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

clonazepam and valium or alprazolam(xanax) and valium? while on methadone 58mgs.

BennyZoMGS

Greenlighter
I'm on clonazepam 0.5 twice daily and valium 10 mgs for insomnia(sleep). I'm wondering if it's better to switch to alprazolam(xanax) instead of the clonazepam and still have the valium at night but what mg would be apropriate if i changed for the xanax? or if i stick with clonazepam what should I ask my psych to up it too? i have more than 2+ panic attacks a day and 1 mg of clonazepam does it not 0.5. so i'm left with nothing for the rest of the day, also I'm on methadone 58 mgs. I don't know if half life's are an issue or not? what do you think I should do? and what mgs of alprazolam if so? or is clonazepam a good choice regarless, kinda thinking of the halflife of valium too and since alprazolam leaves system quickly my health should be in better shape seeing my heart slows with methadone and valium.

I used to have awful panic attacks that would interrupt my day too. I had tried (with the help of my psych) a bunch of different bentos to try to find something that would work for me, and like you, took two different kinds depending on the situation/time of day.

It sounds like your tolerance to the clonazepam is rising quickly. This makes sense since you're taking it twice a day with the valium later at night. I would take the clonazepam only when you know you'll absolutely need it for the day. If that means twice a day everyday, then of course keep taking it as you are. By avoiding the times you may not absolutely need it, your body will get a little rest from it... so the doses you really need are effective. I would try your best not to continually up the dosage. This can lead to some serious dependency down the road.

The clonazepam does have a really long half life though, which means it will help you avoid anxiety through most of the day. That's the nice part about taking the stuff. In my experience it was only really good for general anxiety throughout the day, and I would have to take xanax on top of it if I felt a panic attack coming on. The xanax has a relatively short half life (especially to the clonazepam), and it acts very quickly making it great for acute and sudden anxiety. The dose of xanax is only something you can figure out, but don't make the mistake of taking too much just because it's prescribed. When used for anxiety, you'd really be surprised by how little can do so much.

None of this should be an issue with your methadone maintenance. Best thing to do is explore your options with your psych, learn about the differences between the drugs, and then do what's best for you! Everyone's different. I hope you find some relief... anxiety is truly awful. Best wishes.

The thing is I just came on to clonazepam 3 days ago. that's when my psych changed the daytime 10 mg valium to 2 0.5's of clonazepam so I really haven't been on it long just the valium (2-3years or so). and the clonazepam it will take 1mg to get rid of a panic attack later in the day if I have a PA I have to use a 5 mg of my sleep valium and then i'm just using 5 mgs to sleep which is not right cause it's supposed to be 10mgs. so I' wondering when I see my psych if I should ask him to go up on the clonazepam a bit by say 0.5 or 1 mg (or will this make me OD or something?) or should I change to Xanax in the day time. or should I ask him to add a 1mg of Xanax seeing it has a short half life.

hello Benny ,
Im a former alprazolam (xanax) user that stuff made me sleep like a baby when i took it ,
a dr first prescribed that to me for alcohol withdrawals when i had to quit drinking after i had a seizure from a hangover. what really helps me sleep well now is vitamins , i take vitamin D , C , Magnesium & potassium with breakfast i have a nappy for 2 -4 hours an hour after those vitamins , in the evenings i take eitherh chamomille tea or sleepytime tea , that sleepytime tea puts me to sleep in -5 minutes, occasionally i'll have valerian root, DONT take valerian if you take any meds , it interacts with any kind of medicine valerian makes your medication NOT WORK AT ALL . i really dont want to suggest any benzos for sleep here are some non benzo sleep meds i would suggest first , trazadone and seroquell but if you really want a benzo for sleep , i suggest either diazepam (vallium) or ambien

Clonazepam is not the best choice for panic attacks because of its longer half-life. It is not good for frequent dosing as all your doing is raising the amount still in your system. Taking half of your diazepam dose earlier in the day is doing the same thing, the drug is still in your system by bedtime so you're just adding to the blood level by taking the other half. Shorter acting benzos like Xanax or Ativan are better equipped for sudden onset panic where Clonazepam and Diazepam are better for generalized anxiety issues. Switching to a shorter acting benzo during the day for panic attacks would be better. For now, try taking the Clonazepam sublingually. It will increase the onset to help with getting relief quicker. After taking it for initial panic attack will still be in system for rest of day and should decrease severity of subsequent attacks. Try non-pharmacologic methods to get through your later in the day attacks and know that the Clonazepam, and to some extent the diazepam from the previous night, is still in your system helping your overall anxiety level.

Yes I have trazodone but it made me really groggy and what not same with seroquel I am using valium 10 mgs for it. my problem is nto with the sleep the valium works it's about my Panic Attacks that I am being under prescribed for. 2-3 years they gave me valium for it in the day but it would put me to sleep during the day for long hours not being able to get things done I used it as a sleep aid and now they switched my daytime panic medication to 1 mg (divided 2 .5's) of clonazepam which only works for one panic attack and I have atleast 1-3 during the day. my question is if I should add a Xanax 1 mg to my assets of meds or a 1 mg of clonazepam. also I am taking methadone(going down 3 mgs a month). so it's gotta be what's safe vand what's best and also not make me too groggy. I've asked for alprazolam but my psych is like against it for some reason that's why he gave me clonazepam even though i'm already on a long half life benzo valium every night so I don't see what the side effects would be if he thinks i'd go into withdrawal from the Xanax because I already have up to 100 hours of another benzo (valium in me). instead he puts me on clonazepam with also a intermediate to long half life. I don't know what I should ask him for next time I see him. which is 5 weeks from now.

If he's against Xanax try asking for lorazepam. It is good for panic attacks and is short acting like Xanax. Most psychs are more willing to prescribe this than Xanax.

hello again benny if you ever have any difficulties obtaining more clonzapam from your dr theres a state funded mental health clinic called MHMR every county has a clinic if you write MHMR and your county name on google you can get a phone # and address of a MHMR clinic in your county . Psychiatrist visits there are FREE and so are medications , however the only benzo drug prescribed here is clonzapam (generic klonopin) . i thought i'd give you a heads up on that so you never face any shortages of clonzapam you can just have the clonzapam from here as a backup so you dont run out from your prescribing Dr / pharmacy

hello again benny if you ever have any difficulties obtaining more clonzapam from your dr theres a state funded mental health clinic called MHMR every county has a clinic if you write MHMR and your county name on google you can get a phone # and address of a MHMR clinic in your county . Psychiatrist visits there are FREE and so are medications , however the only benzo drug prescribed here is clonzapam (generic klonopin) . i thought i'd give you a heads up on that so you never face any shortages of clonzapam you can just have the clonzapam from here as a backup so you dont run out from your prescribing Dr / pharmacy

Can you please google it for me I'm in Canada, Ontario Mississauga, I'm trying to find it (the website) but I can't.

hi benny, im sorry MHMR clinics are available just in the US i did look online and see a few canadian state funded mental health clinics . i read about this clinic's services they seem to be for free too http://www.cmha.ca/branch_locations/ontario-division/

if you contact and visit this cmha clinic continue seeing your current dr / get curent meds doses its good to have extras so you dont run out or just in case if you missplace your prescription bottle

thank you for that babyangel_ do you know what types of meds they give out or does it not say?

your welcome benny , i really do care especially when it comes to helping other people when it comes to their health .
um im not familiar what types of medications they prescribe. i recommend that you take one of your empty bottles of clonzapam , just say you took this in the past and say you need to start taking it again, i know it sux that you might have to lie to a dr to get meds but if you tell them your currently taking 1 mg , they might not be able to help you