• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Clonazapam and alprazolam addiction

kkgb1035

Bluelighter
So my friend and I are having a discussion and I'm trying to tell him that Xanax and clonazapam addiction are one in the same.
If someone's going through Xanax withdrawal then taking clonazapam to get off wouldn't make sense it be feeding the benzodiazepine addiction right?

I wanted to get feedback from people explaining why thers differences in clonazapam and ther benzos as in the half life and the dosages and what not.

If I'm incorrect and being addicted to one benzo is different than being addicted to another id love to get some info on that :)

klonopin and xanax conversion is subjective to many but a rough estimate is about the same 1mg xanax equals 1mg of klonopin and so fourth
xanax is notorious for having a short half life 6 to 12 hrs while klonopin has 18-50 hrs
diazepam and klonopin are usually used to help taper because of their long half life meaning less redosing

well the only difference is being addicted to xanax opposed to klonopin is the half life both affect the gaba receptors
xanax is the king when it comes to panic attacks if subbed it can be felt within mins....hit hard and fast
while klonopin has a long onset of 15 mins up to an hr to feel its effects but lasts much longer relief wise up to a few hours
klonopin has more a creep effect the relief slowly creeps up on you more subtle while xanax is a like a smack in the face
ans xanax is about an hr or 2 IME i get about an hr of relief
leaves fast why it isnt good for long term anxiety relief
more for flying, speeches etc

each benzo brings its own characteristics to the table like klonopin has anticonvulsant and anti anxiety properties
xanax has anti anxiety and anti convulsant properties but no where near klonopin

diazepam or valium which is also a long last benzo, has anti anxiety, anti convulsant and kick ass muscle relaxing properties
IMO its all personal pref

like me i rather pick diazepam over xanax and some would say i was an idiot but again its all personal pref

Last edited:
What he said^^
You are correct though that the mechanism behind physical dependence for xanax and klonopin are the same, which is why either or will work to ward off withdrawals regardless of which one the user became addicted to in the first place.
However where those two benzos differ is their usefulness in a taper program meant to reduce your dosage so your physical withdrawal symptoms are far less severe when you finally quit.
This is particularly important with benzo addiction (or any GABAergic induced physical dependence, such as alcohol), because the physical withdrawal symptoms can be so severe in heavy users that it can cause seizures and occasionally even death. Certainly not something you want to fuck around with.
If someone has developed an addiction to xanax, with it's very short half-life compared to other benzos, they will often taper with a longer lasting benzo like diazepam.
This is because it will ward off withdrawal symptoms for much longer so it's a lot easier to set up and stick to a taper program using the longer lasting benzodiazepines.
Also I found clonazepam to be more sedating and less euphoric than xanax so it may be easier for some users to taper using the seemingly less euphoric benzos to reduce likelihood of total relapse.