• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Chlorpromazine (Thorazine, Largactil) For Anxiety

ChemicallyEnhanced

Bluelighter
I've seen online and head of people taking this for "extreme anxiety" or in cases where addictive sedatives like benzodiazepines and barbiturates when be inappropriate (in case of addiction etc).
Has anybody used it for this reason?

EDIT: I don't have any access to the more traditional sedatives right now, largely due to COVID. I HAVE take 50mg a few times and found it helps.

Last edited:
I've never found traditional antipsychotics to do much for anxiety. They're good for sleep or to end a stimulant binge, but that's about it.

I can’t comment on the specific drugs OP mentions, but I have found the newer-generation anti-psychotic Abilify very helpful for the kind of anxiety caused by intrusive thoughts and obsessive ruminations when nothing else worked. It also seems to do a good job at levelling out stim comedowns (though not as well as seroquel does). Thorazine is incredibly sedating and stupefying so I’d expect it knocks the hard edges of anxiety.

I can’t comment on the specific drugs OP mentions, but I have found the newer-generation anti-psychotic Abilify very helpful for the kind of anxiety caused by intrusive thoughts and obsessive ruminations when nothing else worked. It also seems to do a good job at levelling out stim comedowns (though not as well as seroquel does). Thorazine is incredibly sedating and stupefying so I’d expect it knocks the hard edges of anxiety.

Seroquel is a godsend for sleep after a stim binge or to get some rest on the tail-end of an acid trip when its nothing but dopaminergic stimulation.

I find that Seroquel on its own actually creates anxiety for me, putting negative thoughts in my head.

Seroquel is a godsend for sleep after a stim binge or to get some rest on the tail-end of an acid trip when its nothing but dopaminergic stimulation.

I find that Seroquel on its own actually creates anxiety for me, putting negative thoughts in my head.

I agree. I’ve killed a few trips towards the end when I was just agitated and restless and the psychadelia was finished with 150 mg seroquel. The downside is it seems to also kill any lingering glow from your trip for the next few days. I find as little as 50 mg of seroquel is enough to bring the bedtime shutters down at the end of a long meth binge - giving 10-12 hours of deep sleep. It also reduces the worst of the anxiety/depression of the comedown for a few days afterwards. I don’t like taking it any other time though.

No. It's an antipsychotic, first generation, in fact one of the first. If you take it enough you may suffer extrapyramidal side effects like Parkinsonism or Acute Dystonia or Tardive Diskinesia, involuntary movement conditions. Thorazine should never be used as an anxiolytic.

SSRI's work well for anxiety, another option is Buspirone. SNRI's are also very good and very well tolerated as SSRI's. Trazodone would be considered an alternative as well but I have zero experience with it and it helps only a few people.

The only antipsychotic used for anxiety by some is Quetiapine and it's a second generation one, of course it also has side effects but different, in this case metabolic side effects, people using it chronically have developed Metabolic Syndrome, Diabetes, among other conditions such as high cholesterol, triglycerides, leading to cardiovascular issues, high blood pressure and atherosclerosis which can lead to a heart attack. Quetiapine and second generation antipsychotics should be used under medical supervision.

SNRIs seem like a bad choice for anxiety. Probably safer than antipsychotics but they cause anxiety some. If trying to take non fun drugs for anxiety it's always worth trying clonidine/tizanidine/gaunfacine to reduce noradrenaline release.

I can’t comment on the specific drugs OP mentions, but I have found the newer-generation anti-psychotic Abilify very helpful for the kind of anxiety caused by intrusive thoughts and obsessive ruminations when nothing else worked. It also seems to do a good job at levelling out stim comedowns (though not as well as seroquel does).
How much Abilify are you taking? Do you take it daily or "as needed"? Just curious, because my psychiatrist once mentioned it when we were talking about anxiety medications.

How much Abilify are you taking? Do you take it daily or "as needed"? Just curious, because my psychiatrist once mentioned it when we were talking about anxiety medications.
I’ve stopped taking it now, but I was taking 10 mg daily for about 4 years during which time I was largely anxiety free.