• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Chlormethiazole capsules, UK-generic vs heminevrin brand?

Limpet_Chicken

Bluelighter
Are generic chlormethiazole capsules, other than the actual brand name Heminevrin available to the NHS? This ISN'T a sourcing thread, btw, mods. I'm already scripted the drug, and even if I were not, it isn't difficult to make..apparently..

But I picked up a refill very recently on rx, of the brand name capsules. Until very recently, these contained the freebase. Now I noticed that the container lists them as chlormethiazole edisylate. And say what you will about brand vs generic meds being the same. I'm hoping that generics containing the base, or a brand version that contains chlormethiazole freebase are still available because they are NOT equal. No way in hell. The freebase-filled one-piece gelcaps used to burst open in the throat and kind of burn, not painfully, but you'd know straight away when it began to act, and they used to really, really quickly, within minutes of opening up after taking some.

These fucking things are a pale, crappy imitation IMO, quite obviously slower and they don't feel anything like as strong. There used to be at least two versions of the drug itself available, formulation wise. A syrup, containing the ethanedisulfonate (edisylate) salt, never had it, though, and capsules of the freebase. One of the reasons I choose to use it for seizure prophylaxis, is precisely because of its combination of insanely fast onset and it being one of the oldschool wall-banger breed of GABAergics (its a barbiturate binding site agonist at GABAa receptors, but clear-headed , not like the barbs, as it lacks the anti-glutamatergic effects of barbs.) These new pale excuses just feel...well...wrong.

Anybody know when this change happened? its the second time I've seen them, and the first time some of the script seemed to be working slower than other individual capsules, which at the time I ignored, putting it down to subjective opinion. But now, its actually printed on the bottles, as being the edisylate. What gives?

Are generics available? I would check in my copy of the BNF, but this is really new in my experience, within a fortnight, and my copy of the BNF is from at least last year. Transferring to the liquid doesn't strike me as too optimistic a choice either, considering I need to be able to respond to a seizure quickly and with the ability to recover the stuff if dropped, which with a syrup I wouldn't be able to do, or to measure it out, but the gelcaps I can usually manage to grab hold of and down a couple right as it starts, stopping it progressing.