• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

China: Restaurant 'sold opium-laced noodles'

Bluelighter
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-29312562

A Chinese noodle shop owner has admitted to lacing his wares with opium poppy seeds, in an apparent effort to keep customers coming back, it's reported.

The use of the unusual ingredient - used to make opium - at the restaurant in Yan'an, in Shaanxi province, came to light after one of its clients tested positive in a routine urine test by traffic police, despite insisting he'd never touched drugs, the Xi'an Evening News reports. Suspecting the noodle shop he'd eaten at a few hours before the test might be to blame, the customer, Liu Juyou, persuaded relatives to frequent the shop as well and submit themselves to drugs tests. They also tested positive.

The shop owner - named only as Zhang - has since admitted to police that he bought 2kg (4.4lb) of poppy buds - which contain the plant's seeds - for $100 (£60) last month, crushed them into a powder and started to add that to his noodles, the Hua Shang Bao daily reports. Police said the unprocessed seeds contain enough opiates to gradually build up in the body and eventually trigger a positive drugs test result. According to the South China Morning Post, poppy seeds used to be a popular ingredient in Chinese hot pot sauce until their use was banned.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-29312562

How much poppy pod would one need to eat in order to feel drugged?

Depends on tolerance and potency, but generally a few grams of powdered pod at least.
If they were strong, perhaps tablespoon - or even as little as a teaspoon for a bit of a glow.
I reckon they'd make quite a tasty noodle with a nice wholemeal sort of texture.

I always did used to enjoy the taste (etc) of dried pod grinds.

routine urine test by traffic police

The drug war really is all about power and repression.. Pull over son I want your PEE.. :? I will never call giving my body fluids to a cop routine.

I don't know if I'd be able to piss during a traffic stop. It would help if they gave me beer but traffic cops aren't into that.

was that the poppy seeds or seed pods? the article contradicts itself.

if it was the seeds then what's the problem? overzealous drug policies in china, which criminalise harmless food. one of the most popular type of bread over here is 'laced with opium-containing poppy seeds'.
otherwise: i wonder that people even ate those noodles. the pods don't taste good at all.