View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Chest pain after nos

joe456

Bluelighter
I felt a pain in my chest while taking nos (inhaled the whole balloon in one) then kept going (wasnt v painful). Was taking a few breaths of fresh air every few breaths of nos. Today it hurts if i breath in very deeply or swallow, but again not very badly. What happened?

around my throat is also sore, I didnt have any straight from the cracker so I'm surprised about this.

Would it be dangerous to smoke today?

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay a similar thing happened to my friend. She inhaled a cartridge of nitrous from a cracker, and what I think happened was she inhaled it too fast and it was too much for her lungs to handle. Well she ended up with a terrible pain in her chest that lasted well into the next day. She went to the hospital because of it. I felt terrible because I was the one who nonchalantly offered her the nitrous. The doctors told her that she developed an air bubble in her lungs. I think they may have given her some medication to help it heal,. I can't quite remember. But there is actually some medical word for what happened. I can't remember that either.

She was smoking marijuana the next day I know for sure, and possible even cigarettes. She healed up alright. It may be something you can ignore and it will go away, or you could get it checked out.

Doctor Doctor, I swallowed a gust of air.

Good luck Joe

Thanks very much, guessing mine should go away soon since its not very bad. I looked it up, its called a pneumothorax and minor ones often heal pretty quick. Sorry about the multiple posts, I was pretty drowsy after last night and kept realising I had forgotten to type things.

Sorry about the multiple posts, I was pretty drowsy after last night and kept realising I had forgotten to type things.
if you haven't realised it, there is an edit function at the lower right of your post, so you can add or delete information if you want to :)

If I do like 20 whippets a day I begin to get slight chest pains, more pronounced if I get lazy and sip from the dispenser

i went on a huge binge while i was on probation and i only ever felt chest pain when used a balloon and it shot the nos into my lungs with too much force. i would suggest using a plastic bag instead since it has no elasticity and it wont force it down too fast

Glad its not just me lol, a plastic bag is a good idea but i think i will be fine just taking smaller breaths rather than trying to show off my lung capacity but inhaling the balon in one inhalation lol. AMT and K probably made me try harder than i thought i was lol. I did know about the edit function thanks, only forgot it existed after a heavy night lol

It's probably a lack of oxygen. Pain in the chest often points to the blood not getting enough oxygen. Nitrous oxide has a funny way of making the body think it has enough oxygen even if it hasn't, and the way many people inhale nitrous involves oxygen deprivation though it varies how responsibly it is inhaled (if enough in-between breaths are being had).
I've had blue lips from doing nitrous back in the day when I was much more reckless. That the gas is generally benign and not really toxic itself doesn't mean you can't get hypoxia, clearly.

Inhaling from the dispenser is irresponsible for another added reason: the gas comes out cooled because it expands, every time you go a bit too fast with it (which could happen very easily for all we know) you are possibly frosting your lungs.

Nitrous oxide is a powerful oxidizer. Some people are more prone to unpleasant oxidation symptoms. Usually the symptoms are; chest pains, shortness of breath, sore throat, hoarseness, and dry mouth. The more pure the nitrous; the more likely to experience symptoms. The larger the amount of gas inhaled at once, the more likely the symptoms. Medical nitrous oxide is very prone to this if not properly diluted.