• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Chemistry nomenclature question on reversed benzoate name (cocaine analogs, technical)

Nagelfar

Bluelight Crew
Cocaine_reverse_esters.png

So my longtime project, the Wikipedia
'List of Cocaine Analogues' page was updated with someone removing a ref. (Given above) but linking the portion to a newly created article "Cocaine reverse ester" (which due to attestation and I am assuming the nature of the nomenclature, is the methyl ester.).

Now my question is this: the reversed portion of the potential cocaine analogue with the linkage in the benzoate to the tropane reversed from normal, does that have an alternate specific name were it can be attested to? I am trying to find it in the literature, see whether it would augment the local anaesthetic functionality (it appears that all such variants with that length, whatever the connection be, to the arena, seem to be sodium channel blockers, but who knows) and how I might be able to reincorporate this into my cocaine analogs page.

Good to see everyone still up to the old inquiries.

Last edited:
I did look. It doesn't appear that anyone has ever had the cause to coin a non-IUPAC name. I THINK a book came out in 2021 that details thousands of tropane alkaloids... but since cocaine is ALREADY so chemically complex, it doesn't look like anyone has reached a point where a trivial name made writing more concise.

Ignoring stereochemistry, you could call it "2-methyl 3-phenyl tropane-2,3-dicarboxylate". I can't find any reference to suggest that it has been made.

If you truly wanted to tell the 2 of them apart I believe the first one could be called: 2-acetoxy-8-methyl-8-azabicyclo[3.2.1]octan-3-yl benzoate
And the second: 2-methyl 3-phenyl 8-methyl-8-azabicyclo[3.2.1]octane-2,3-dicarboxylate