• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Checking Noise Complaint, Officers Stumble Upon a Heroin Mill - NYT

InvisibleEye

Bluelighter
Great story here:

Friday night did not go as planned for Frank Giardina.

Around 11:05 p.m., police officers came to his third-floor apartment in Flushing, Queens, to check on a noise complaint someone called in to 311. The officers knocked on the door and, the police said, Mr. Giardina, 49, came to the door with a marijuana pipe in his hand, a telltale odor emanating. When asked about the smell, he replied, “Oh, that’s weed,” according to the officers.

First mistake.

The officers, seeing the pipe, requested his identification to write him a summons, the police said, and Mr. Giardina obliged, inviting the officers into his home while he fetched his ID.

That was a critical second mistake, because, the police said, when the officers entered the apartment, they took a look around and saw something significantly more interesting than a pot pipe: about five pounds of what looked like heroin sitting on the kitchen table.

It was not clear whether Mr. Giardina, who the police said had no arrests before Friday, said anything to the officers to explain the apparent presence of a significant quantity of narcotics on the table. But they soon arrested him, got a search warrant and performed a more thorough search of the apartment, turning up still more heroin, in 1,948 glassine bags, along with materials used for packaging, the police said.

Mr. Giardina was charged Sunday night with first-degree criminal drug possession, a spokeswoman for the Queens district attorney’s office said. Mr. Giardina’s next court date was set for March 24, and he faces a minimum sentence of eight years in prison if convicted, Meris Campbell, the spokeswoman, said. Jane Remler, his lawyer at the Legal Aid Society, did not immediately return a call for comment on Sunday.

So what began as a routine noise check turned into the latest discovery by New York area law enforcement agencies of an apparent heroin mill, in a neighborhood not known as a hub for drug trafficking. Officials say drug organizations have increasingly preferred to set up such operations in places like Fort Lee, N.J., and even Midtown Manhattan, to avoid detection by the authorities and reduce the chance of a robbery.

The seizure of what the police said was approximately five pounds of heroin could represent as much as $400,000 in street-level sales, depending on its level of adulteration. The Drug Enforcement Administration seized about 317 pounds of heroin across New York State last year; seizures in the state are up 67 percent over the last four years.

Mr. Giardina’s apartment, at 67-11 161st Street, sits along a curving stretch of road in a cooperative development called Electchester, established in 1949 to provide affordable apartments for electricians and their families.

“There’s no dope around here that I know of,” said a 61-year-old electrician from Local 3, who lives across the street from Mr. Giardina and asked not to be identified because of the nature of the crime. “The only thing that bothers me as of late is that I can’t go to the store without getting hit up for money or a cigarette.” He said there had also been gunshots on the block last year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/10/nyregion/checking-complaint-officers-stumble-upon-a-heroin-mill.html?_r=0

Lol weird ass story. Guy has like two kilos of smack and has it on a kitchen table and just randomly comes to the door smoking a bowl?? Also who the hell would play loud music while running a mill? This sounds like some bs. Maybe one of those scenarios when the dea used nsa provided surveilance and then had the local cops fabricate a noise complaint. If not then that guy is a complete moron. Its like he was trying to get caught.

Lol weird ass story. Guy has like two kilos of smack and has it on a kitchen table and just randomly comes to the door smoking a bowl?? Also who the hell would play loud music while running a mill? This sounds like some bs. Maybe one of those scenarios when the dea used nsa provided surveilance and then had the local cops fabricate a noise complaint. If not then that guy is a complete moron. Its like he was trying to get caught.

Duuude that's what I've been thinking about a handful of these incidents where someone's bad judgement leads to a huge bust... I'm sure it happens, there are a lot of idiots out there but there have been a lot of stories where the cops get extremely "lucky" with traffic stops, noise complaints etc... With the surveillance capabilities that the gov has, we shouldn't always take their explanations at face value.

damn dude invites cops in with 2000 bags of heroin? ask for a warrant, you stupid motherfucker

“There’s no dope around here that I know of,” said a 61-year-old electrician from Local 3, who lives across the street from Mr. Giardina and asked not to be identified because of the nature of the crime. “The only thing that bothers me as of late is that I can’t go to the store without getting hit up for money or a cigarette.”
This is funny to me, why does he think people are hitting him up for money, to get a sandwich? No, they're probably looking for money to cop some dope, you just don't realize it buddy! lol

I figured the guy may be a user or former user. Not everyone calls heroin dope, tho most ppl familiar with it do.

Jfc what?! That's got to be too much dope for someone to just invite someone in wtf this world is fucking bizarre

the more i think about it the more it seems like illegal surveilance (like nsa hitting up the dea) was involved like medicine cabinet said.