• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Cheap and effective ways to purge hash oil

theflyingdead

Greenlighter
Anyone know of some good methods or equipment related to this? I don't necessary have the means to purchase a commercial or industrial grade vacuum purger. I've looked through the many tutorials on how to make an effective DIY vacuum purger but since I don't posses any tools for constructing things of that nature its not the most viable option for me. What i'm looking for is a cheap and effective way to purge BHO. By effective I mean I want it to be safe to ingest. I know that the cheap route isnt going to produce a 100% clean product, if that's even possible, but I would like risk ratio to still be significantly lower then other methods like simply whipping the oil up while its slightly warm to release any trapped butane. I recently came across this product which is a food saver vacuum that fits over mason jars.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/3297403902107977212?q=food+vacuum+sealer&safe=off&rlz=1C1SKPL_enUS446&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.66699033,d.cGU,pv.xjs.s.en_US.KyzB3DMm5Kk.O&biw=1746&bih=890&tch=1&ech=1&psi=qUdyU8KJNtGBogTHq4LoDw.1399998375210.5&ei=vkdyU4-qO86QT7v4DYDQ&ved=0CK0CEKYrMAw

Anybody have any experience with a small scale purging method utilizing a tool like this? Im thinking this in combination with a hot plate may be effective, depending on how much pressure the vacuum creates. Also does any one know the general pressure and temperature high quality BHO is usually purged at?

any info helps, thanks

Upon further investigation I realized the product I posted isnt actually a vacuum pump its self but more of an adapter for mason jars that you can use in combination with a food saver vacuum that vacuums freezer bags. Buying both apparatuses (The freezer bag vacuum and mason jar adapter) would still probably be cheaper then other DIY/commercial vacuums chambers i've researched, unless someone can point me in a better direction.

you don't need to purge to have perfectly safe BHO. butane, when combusted, turns into CO2 and water vapour; both of which are safe to inhale. Not to mention, butane boils at room temperature, so it's already fighting to get away from the THC and into the atmosphere as soon as it hits the evap dish. Vaccuum purge is just an unnecessarily elaborate way to manipulate pressure, something that also happens when you add heat, which is why water tends to boil in a kettle.

you don't need to purge to have perfectly safe BHO. butane, when combusted, turns into CO2 and water vapour; both of which are safe to inhale. Not to mention, butane boils at room temperature, so it's already fighting to get away from the THC and into the atmosphere as soon as it hits the evap dish. Vaccuum purge is just an unnecessarily elaborate way to manipulate pressure, something that also happens when you add heat, which is why water tends to boil in a kettle.

So whats the whole purging trend based around then? Also I read that in cases of incomplete combustion butane can release carbon monoxide. Would incomplete combustion be something to worry about given general oil smoking techniques like dabbing or vaping? I was also made to believe by someone that even though the butane would boil at room temperature the viscosity of hash oil would still trap some in it unless additional production methods where used. Is this a misconception and if its not are you implying that applying a little heat is sufficient to release any butane that may be trapped? I cant really find much good scientific information regarding this subject so thanks for the response!

I don't know why it's such a fad. People attribute strange benefits to the process which are more a result of the extraction process than the actual purging. If I had to guess, I would say it's either marketing-related (unconfirmed purity claims sounds more credible when you add <extra chemistry!>) or people just want to believe that chemistry is always magic because they saw some trick reaction gifs.

Ew, come on, even if it's theoretically safe I wouldn't dab BHO that still had butane in it. That'll give you a nasty headache, to say nothing of the unknown long-term effects. It's not just purge either, part of the post-production processing is de-waxing it as well (aka winterization).

If you end up with nasty oil it's not that easy to purge yourself unless you buy some equipment. Your best bet is to just decarb it in the oven and use it for cooking. (just put it in at 220 until it stops bubbling--ideally with something like a glass rod breaking the surface tension)