• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids CFO with Poppy Seeds... Advice?

alaskanpride

Greenlighter
So I've done my far share of research on the topic and I just want to confirm that this will work.. and a few questions about filtration.

As according to a study [h=1](Optimized LC/MS/MS Analysis of Morphine and Codeine in Poppy Seed )[/h]They used methanol to extract alkaloids from whole poppy seeds (with 1% acetic acid.. unsure how much this impacts the extraction, anyone care to chime in on this?) and found mixing for 60 mins produced the best results, however results from 30-180mins proved to be about the same (at least what I gathered from reading the entire article).

So if someone were to put this knowledge into practice, it might look something like this.

1. Place poppy seeds into large container
2. Add methanol as to cover seeds and an additional 1/4" above them.
3. Agitate mixture for 30 minutes (I've heard of putting shit in the dryer wrapped in a sleeping bag without heat for a easy way to get this done, not sure how that would work using methanol though, I imagine it's not safe?)
4. Filter out liquid (What kind of filters could you use given the solvent required?)
5. Let the methanol evaporate as to only leave behind the goodies

The next step is further defatting and filtration

Now left with a putty it's going to be contaminated with a lot of fats and such that the solvent will strip off of the seeds. In order to chemically defat I read of a process on another forum about adjusting the PH and using Naptha. Supposedly the desired alkaloids will turn into a citrate, polar form with the PH adjusted to 3 or 4. Naptha being non polar would act as a chemical magnet to the plant fats, while leaving the good stuff behind.

6. In a seperate container adjust distilled water to a PH of 4 (will a PH of 3 make a huge difference in converting the alkaloids?) using citric acid
7. add enough of the PH adjusted distilled water to completely dissolve the putty resulting from 5.
8. Add Naptha at 1/3 of the waters volume, proceed to gently stir the mixture together for 5 seconds ( no idea how long to do this for or how much naptha to use?)
9. After the water and naptha completely seperate, siphon off the naptha layer. Discard naptha accordingly
-Repeat steps 8 and 9 for a total of 3 times

Now here is where I am most uncertain, will it further be needed to use the Ice filtration method, followed by filtering through a 10 micron or less bag. I imagine the 10 micron bag definitely as the naptha will only remove fats and not solids.

I appreciate any input on this, sorry I have so many questions but I am very curious how this process would work in practice. I know someone attempting this would require a large amount of seeds to make this process even worthwhile.

That sounds like a shit load of seeds/methanol required for what would be a dose or two of poppy alkaloids.

I seriously doubt its worth the effort/solvents/time required to actually extract pureish alks from seeds, and that's the consensus I've read on many forums including BL.

But just for shits and giggles, I can see its interest in terms of novelty.