• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Cesamet (Nabilone) - Why is it schedule II, and only indicated for chemotherapy?

Changa707

Bluelighter
Hey all, not sure if this is the right forum...but I figured that the answer to my question might be of a pharmacological nature. You see, I am interested in substituting my smoked cannabis with a healthier oral form of cannabis. I realize I could bake some cookies, but I would much rather be taking a known quantity of pharmaceutical grade cannabinoids. However, at least in Cananda the drug Cesamet is only indicated for use to reduce nausea during chemotherapy. It is a schedule II substance which is strictly controlled, and only prescribed for short perioids.

I don't understand why it is so easy to get cannabis, and practically legal in BC...but almost impossible to get a pharmaceutical grade cannabis product. I am trying to quit smoking cannabis, and would like to try Cesamet or Dronabinol as a substitute. I am thinking about going to the doctor to ask about off-label treatments, but am doubting that I will get any help.

Are there practical and pharmacological reasons that these medications are tightly controlled? My feeling is that this has to do with Cannabis still being an illegal substance in Canana, where each province has particular laws governing it's use. But here in BC I don't see why it shouldn't also be available in pill form...unless the medical panels have decided it has no uses other than in chemotherapy (which I highly doubt). Seems like someone has a stick up their ass. There has got to be at least a good way for me to make pure CBD and/or THC...could I make some kind of edible extract equivalent to Dronabinol/Cesamet?

Sorry if this doesn't belong here, but I really am frustrated with my cannabis addiction and don't where to look..as most clinicians aren't very helpful and there are no medications indicated for treatment of cannabis addiction (at least not in canada). I imagine that Cesamet would help me quit, or at least stop smoking for the sake of HR.

The simple answer is that Canada's controlled substance act places "cannabis, derivatives, and similar synthetic preparations" in schedule II. If multiple drugs with similar pharmacological properties are controlled, they are usually placed in the same schedule.

Because federal governments in general, especially ones in the same hemisphere as the us, hate marijuana.

CBD may or may not be legal in your country.

I applaud that you want to stop the smoking part, but what is wrong with (making) edibles?