• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Cerebral cortex atrophy because of MDMA.

Donello

Greenlighter
Hi,

Could using excessive amounts of MDMA cause Cerebral cortex atrophy ?? including problems related to speech,movement and cognitive disfunctions ??

I am talking about using 2 to 3 pills a night and rolling for 2 weeks, not everyday but almost 4 days of the week.

My friend's neurologist had him doing the MRT scan (guess it's called MRI). Anyway, the scan showed that my friend has Cerebral cortex atrophy.

Me and my friend rolled together 9 months ago for 2 weeks and used the same amount of MDMA each.

Since that time, I occasionally smoke weed and done 2 LSD trips. Now I am going to stop abusing any substances till 6 months are passed, a Doctor from Spain once told me that 6 months is a good time for the brain to heal itself especially when talking about someone who's 21 years old as the brain has not stopped developing yet.

What do you think ?? Could the damage be irreversible??

i think it will be reversible since i used to take amount similar to those you said and a few months after quitting i was fine

Hi,

Could using excessive amounts of MDMA cause Cerebral cortex atrophy ?? including problems related to speech,movement and cognitive disfunctions ??

Excessive use can cause long lasting problems in speech, movement and cognition, but published cases usually involved much more reckless dosing over extended periods of time: http://www.theguardian.com/society/2006/apr/04/drugsandalcohol.drugs1

In that case the man showed no cortical dysfunction on his MRI, so I'm a bit skeptical your friend's cortical atrophy can explain his behavioral problems entirely considering someone without any atrophy displayed similar symptoms. Other factors like overheating and polydrug use can cause more damage than MDMA itself though, so comparing between people that used the drug in different contexts can be a bit misleading.