• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Neuroscience Centrophenoxine

This thread contains discussion about a Neuroscience-related topic

emkee_reinvented

Bluelighter
Someone I know has serious fear for Alzheimer. Age 67 (she has skin Lupus to), another family member is 96 (cognitively still ok) but IMO also a good candidate.
At 50 my own body is showing Liverspot's, so I'll experiment on myself too.
To bad Centrophenoxine is not used by dr's over here, its not mentioned in their drug bible like many nootropic's.

The Lipofuscin removal/ anti Alzheimer effect do they still stand or has that been proven wrong. Anyone knows? I did search, but you are my knowledge database.

Is it worth to try, the fact its for someone else worries me as I ain't no dr. and never took it.
Should they tell there dr's. Has it interaction's with prescription medication's that you must be beware of.

It may be worth your time to watch (or indeed read the original book) 'The Case of the Frozen Addicts'.

Near the end it was suggested that in the future an MRI scan would detect those likely to develop Alzheimer's and those who were at risk would simply be prescribed meclobemide (if memory serves) which is an MAOI.

It's interesting that centrophenoxine displays MAO activity and is structurally similar to meclobemide.

Now, that 'future' never happened. I don't know why.

But it does seem that maintaining neuroplasticity is an important defence. People with quite advanced forms of dementia (from a structural point of view) who maintain patterns of learning do appear to survive and more importantly remain mentally aware for longer.

It may be worth your time to watch (or indeed read the original book) 'The Case of the Frozen Addicts'.

Near the end it was suggested that in the future an MRI scan would detect those likely to develop Alzheimer's and those who were at risk would simply be prescribed meclobemide (if memory serves) which is an MAOI.

It's interesting that centrophenoxine displays MAO activity and is structurally similar to meclobemide.

But it does seem that maintaining neuroplasticity is an important defence. People with quite advanced forms of dementia (from a structural point of view) who maintain patterns of learning do appear to survive and more importantly remain mentally aware for longer.

A future that relies on a simple MAOI (especially an old one) isn't profitable, even if it can slow the decline.

Someone I know has serious fear for Alzheimer. Age 67 (she has skin Lupus to), another family member is 96 (cognitively still ok) but IMO also a good candidate.
At 50 my own body is showing Liverspot's, so I'll experiment on myself too.
To bad Centrophenoxine is not used by dr's over here, its not mentioned in their drug bible like many nootropic's.

The Lipofuscin removal/ anti Alzheimer effect do they still stand or has that been proven wrong. Anyone knows? I did search, but you are my knowledge database.

Is it worth to try, the fact its for someone else worries me as I ain't no dr. and never took it.
Should they tell there dr's. Has it interaction's with prescription medication's that you must be beware of.

You can try it. It tends to be rather expensive though, particularly if you're planning to take it for years or decades. No particular interactions I can think of. Can make you feel a bit nauseous at higher doses, though nothing like homotaurine.

Yeah - MONEY. That hit's the nail on the head.

The thing is meclobemide was on-patent at the time (Hoffmamn la Roche from 1977) and experience has taught me that pharmaceutical companies have an almost supernatural ability to retain patent control on a medicine if they choose to do so.

One has to suspect HlR had another candidate in the pipeline.

"The case of the Frozen Addict's" is that a book you'll find in a library? Bizar title btw. Thanks for the pointer.

Meclobemide, assuming you mean Moclobemide the MAO-inhibitor prescription anti depressant, in other word's fat chance they will be able to get it. Way to many side effect's and interaction's and which dr. would be prepared I wonder.

But does it also remove Lipofuscin from the brain and Liverspots a.o.

Agreed on the last paragraph. Doing anything pleasureable, creative anything new is supposed to stimulate neuroplasticity. I noticed that myself, it was 3 year's ago 3 Epileptic seizures kinda stopped my life. And that together with more stress and sleepless night's. No good, better just to keep going. Luckily the Hippocampus is very neuro plastic.

But the Centrophenoxine is not for me so that's another story. I take L-Acetyl-Carnitine to repair my Hippocampus. Centrophenoxine is contradicted for Epileptic's.

Last edited:
Meclobemide, assuming you mean Moclobemide the MAO-inhibitor prescription anti depressant, in other word's fat chance they will be able to get it. Way to many side effect's and interaction's and which dr. would be prepared I wonder.

Yeah moclobemide. It's not available in the US but it is in Europe. For all intents and purposes, there are very few side-effects. Doctors have this thing about MAOIs because an obese docker in Liverpool eons ago ate some ripe cheese once while taking an irreversible MAOI and had a heart attack from a (suspected) OD on catecholamines, but most don't actually understand how they work (or indeed how any medications work). Moc is a RIMA, and despite the package inserts, you can eat a very healthy quantity of tyramine and it still has little (if any) affect on BP or HR.

To be fair though, the MAOI that did/does seem to be more effective against Parkinsons and (in theory) dementias or brain injuries of all types is selegiline (taken for years). And that does have more side-effects, and is much harder (depending on where you live) to persuade anyone to prescribe. I secured Moclobemide very easily just by speaking to a psychiatrist, but selegeline was a no-no under any conditions.

But the Centrophenoxine is not for me so that's another story. I take L-Acetyl-Carnitine to repair my Hippocampus. Centrophenoxine is contradicted for Epileptic's.

Maybe add GlyNAC (glycine and NAC) to your arsenal if you're looking for an insurance policy against both physical and mental maladies of all kinds? It's cheap, easy to buy, and there's a fairly bulky - and growing - body of research that suggests it may help. You can read my short thread on what supps I'm giving my Mum with dementia down in LAVA if you want some more off-the-shelf ideas.

Selegiline is most likely a better option.

It DOES concern me that people mention this medicine and consider taking other stuff on top... well, maybe it will be OK and maybe it will not but their is such a thing as 'survival bias' in which various BLers will inform you that they took drug X with drug Y and were FINE. Not recognizing that the minority for whom it was not 'fine' are not in a position to post.

So yes - I think selegiline is very likely a medication that reduces the incidence of dementia BUT I know 30, 40 and even 50 year studies are ongoing and I'm sure we would all love a peek at the data... But a study is a study.

The LAVA points to different thread's, its a bit confusing.

You are presumably not dosing your Mum with LAVA right?

No way I am dosing my parents with Moclobemide or Selegiline, maybe myself. But that are presription's not nootropic's. So not avaiable.

Well... my parents are in their late 70s... they tend to take whatever I demand (I demand whatever the doctor has specified) because non-compliance is the MOST common drug failure of all -patients not taking their medication.

I was also amazed- but doctor friends confism this.

Well... my parents are in their late 70s... they tend to take whatever I demand (I demand whatever the doctor has specified) because non-compliance is the MOST common drug failure of all -patients not taking their medication.

I was also amazed- but doctor friends confism this.
Mine too but way more critical.,And although I know at least 95 % of us are under influence. A simple question of a high member ( not as kite but still ) .

But what is LAVA? You mean the work out supplement. Looking at the ingredient's I doubt it removes Lipofuscin from the brain

Last edited:
My garden, with those will-less plant's in it. That I can feed LAVA starch it contains all nutrient's needed for good mineral rich ground. As they don't complain you can even cover the leaves with the ash. And by nature's design its slow release. Not for human consumption the plant's will be.

But that or LAVA the body builder supplement won't remove Lipofuscin. Which is the reason for creating a thread about Centrophenoxine. To see if the claimes are still standing.

Lave is an amazing thing. The Romans produced a form of concrete using it and two thousand years later, it's still as strong as ever. It's BETTER than modern concrete.

More importantly, it doesn't require the dehydration of calcium carbonate to produce it and modern concrete production is responsible for 10% of the world's CO2 production. I cannot help thinking that at least in nations that have locally sources, they could use it and have better results at a lower cost both financially and to the environment.

Lave is an amazing thing. The Romans produced a form of concrete using it and two thousand years later, it's still as strong as ever. It's BETTER than modern concrete.

More importantly, it doesn't require the dehydration of calcium carbonate to produce it and modern concrete production is responsible for 10% of the world's CO2 production. I cannot help thinking that at least in nations that have locally sources, they could use it and have better results at a lower cost both financially and to the environment.
Is this also why Venetia which is build in water still stand, bit off topic. There concrete is so good itt beats ours today. They had an investigation on how they made it. I bet Lava could have been involved.
Even normal old conrete is better then that prefab shit of today. Look at the Atlantic wall the German's build or ancient monumental concrete building in harbour's of Rotterdam.

Centrophenoxine vs. the dr's med's is like lava to artificial fertilizer containing only N-P-K.

Last edited:
While I feel it should be the right of every adult to make an informed choice what compounds they choose to imbibe, I think INFORMED choice is vital.

Now please forgive me for only providing one reference but it's a widely known issue within the supplement industry that their is very little oversight. It isn't an issue limited to centrophenoxine. I've read that even simple vitamin and electrolyte supplements often don't contain the stated dose and contain unlisted compounds.

If you can afford it, I strongly urge you to buy the pure material that is provided with a reliable, independent certificate of analysis.

While it's rare that supplements contain dangerous impurities, it's worth noting that some quite high-profile supplements have been taken off the market because unlike a medicine, the testing requirements for supplements are somewhat lax.